+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: light switch won't turn off

Excellent, excellent point, Jack! And, one I would not have thought of. Excellent!

and make sure the sky is clear, a lightning strike could energize the wire with enough force that even though disconnected it could jump the gap and fry you. oh wait I bet that is what the rubber boots were for.

if you think osha is a small town in Wisconsin your in big trouble

Unless the rubber boots were made in China!
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thank you for all your replies and help.
    I turned off the breaker to that switch and found that on that on one 20 amp breaker is my bathroom, two of three outlets in my bedroom, the refrigerator and the outlet next to it, the guest bath on the other side of the house; both the light switch and outlet! How messed up is that!

So I did have to borrow a working switch from another room.

I may be imagining it. But is it possible for the light to be brighter with the new switch?

I know I really need to get the house rewired. It has no updating that I am aware of.
    Could someone tell me how big of a deal doing this is. A while back I was told that you have to knock holes in the walls to do it.
    Can't you just attach a wire to the existing one at the outlet and use that to pull the new wire thru the wall, or am I oversimplifying it? And if I added new outlets I guess it would be a bigger deal....

Also, I noticed that the breaker box felt warm when I was turning the breaker off. This does not seem to be a good thing...how dangerous is this?
    Several years ago I had an electrician out and he pulled the cover off the breaker box and said the wires inside looked OK, not like someone had messed with it, as I guess happens with old houses.

I did find out that the house was flipped a few years before I got it so who knows what he did.

again,
    Thank you for the help, and well wishes.
    You all are great!

Caltex,
    Yes, it is possible for the light to be brighter with the new switch. Old switches usually have burnt contacts and the wire connections can be oxidized, both of which are called high resistant connections. New switch-new contacts and the wire connections are scrubbed when you redo them.

If you have a one floor plan house and all the wiring is routed through the attic only a few holes may be needed to be made. The problem with using the old wire as a pull is that it is very difficult to pull any wire though off set holes in rafters, studs and joists. Some times you can other times there is no way.

A warm breaker box indicates a high current draw. This could be caused by calling for an almost full load or more on the box, for instance 60 amp draw on a 60 amp box, or a high resistant connection usually on the mains. If the incoming mains are aluminum wire they periodically need to be tightened, that would be one thing to have checked.
    Hope that helps.
    Jack

Smile Re: light switch won't turn off

Thanks Jack, you just answered a question I had. Now I know to buy the rubber boots and gloves when I have to rewire my backyard light (lol)

Hope you are feeling better caltex

Cris

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    if you think osha is a small town in Wisconsin your in big trouble
    Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Unless the rubber boots were made in China!
    Jack
    Wait a minute! Isn't Osha a village in China that makes rubber boots?

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post

No, they're on a political junket to Bermuda!
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    well see I'm originally from michigan and knew it was from across the water just didn't realize it was the big water

Greetings all,

Sorry to resurrect this thread and jump on the wagon, but I am having a similar problem.

I found myself unable to turn off the light switch in my bathroom. It is a two switch unit, the bottom switch controlling the fan, which functions properly.

I bought a new switch, flipped the breaker off and replaced the switch, but I am still having the same issue.

I am not sure why this would be occuring unless the brand new switch happens to be faulty.

In attempting to troubleshoot, thinking that something may have chewed the wires in the wall somewhere exposing bare wires that would touch and complete the circuit, but if I turn on the power and leave the switch out of the process, there is no light, so it appears to be still a problem with the switch itself.

I pulled out the plastic housing but I cannot see too far up into the drywall.

The switch controls a 4 bulb mounted wall unit.

The only thing I can think of is that there is still a problem with the switch. I guess for yucks I can rewire the light to the bottom switch, and move the fan to the top switch and see what happens. If the fan stays on I guess its the switch, but if the light still stays on it must be the wiring or the light fixture, but I do not understand how the fixture could be the cause, as the switch controls the power.

Puzzling, but I am no eletrical expert.