+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bathroom Fan

Default Bathroom Fan

I am trying to replace a bathroom fan that died on me. When I looked at the wiring diagram that came with the unit {basic Braun fan/light combo** it showed on the back of the switch that cotrols the light/fan that there is a black wire on the top left, a red wire on the top right, and another black wire on the bottom right. When I looked at the wires running to the fan itself I noticed that the wires coming from the switch were different - I had a white wire, a black wire, a red wire and a ground. When I looked at the back of the switch itself, it has the white wire coming out from the top left on the back, where the diagram showed one of the black wires connecting. I assumed that the diagram must be off since the fan had worked for years so I connected everything the way the diagram showed substituting the white wire coming from the switch with the black wire on the diagram {and grounding the wire coming from the switch to the box itself along with the ground wire from the power side**. Well, it didn't work, and now nothing on that circuit works either {one outlet and a light in the attic**. I guess I have two questions - first, was I correct in assuming the wiring diagram was incorrect and second, could I have ruined a breaker and that is why nothing else on that circuit works? Thanks - I've never hooked up one of these before, just basic ceiling light and outlet replacement.

Default Re: Bathroom Fan

I am having a hard time picturing the setup not knowing the model #, etc. Match the functions of the switch leads to the existing wiring. In the event your instructions are wrong, this might help.

http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?ProductID=2942

http://www.broan.com/ImageLibrary/br...s/99043739.pdf

Your breaker is most likely tripped. All the way off, then back on. If something is wrong, it will trip instantly. Keep off until you are sure everything is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHickman View Post
    I am trying to replace a bathroom fan that died on me. When I looked at the wiring diagram that came with the unit {basic Braun fan/light combo** it showed on the back of the switch that cotrols the light/fan that there is a black wire on the top left, a red wire on the top right, and another black wire on the bottom right. When I looked at the wires running to the fan itself I noticed that the wires coming from the switch were different - I had a white wire, a black wire, a red wire and a ground. When I looked at the back of the switch itself, it has the white wire coming out from the top left on the back, where the diagram showed one of the black wires connecting. I assumed that the diagram must be off since the fan had worked for years so I connected everything the way the diagram showed substituting the white wire coming from the switch with the black wire on the diagram {and grounding the wire coming from the switch to the box itself along with the ground wire from the power side**. Well, it didn't work, and now nothing on that circuit works either {one outlet and a light in the attic**. I guess I have two questions - first, was I correct in assuming the wiring diagram was incorrect and second, could I have ruined a breaker and that is why nothing else on that circuit works? Thanks - I've never hooked up one of these before, just basic ceiling light and outlet replacement.
    Well ... yes and no.
    What you have there is an allowable execption where the white wire going to the switch is actually a live ( hot ) wire to feed power to the switch.
    In other words wire it up the way it originally was and it should work fine..

The reason you don't have anything working now is when you grounded the white wire this was a dead short which tripped the breaker ..... which it's supposed to do in a case like a short circuit.
    Last edited by canuk; 09-22-2008 at 10:09 PM.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thanks - the problem I have in rewiring it like it was is that when I took the cover off of the old one the wires basically came apart on their own when I pulled them through the access port on the old fan. My house is over 100 years old, I've discovered all kinds of interesting things when I have went to redo things. Whoever wired this fan did not have the correct size wiring nuts, so they used a combination of too small and too large of ones, and then lots of electrical tape that had seen its better days probably around 20 years ago.

So what you are saying is that if I take the white wire from the power side, and connect it to the white wire on the switch I should be OK?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHickman View Post
    So what you are saying is that if I take the white wire from the power side, and connect it to the white wire on the switch I should be OK?
    What I'm saying is to connect the wires the way they were orginally.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush