+ Reply to Thread

Default Leaking Tub Spout

I have a small constant leak, a trickle of water, that is coming out the end of my tub spout. How can I tell if the problem is in the spout or in the control valve?

The control is some type of an American Standard single handle variety. I removed the trim plate to take a look but i can't really see anything from there. I can't figure out how to remove the handle. Thoughts?

Default Re: Leaking Tub Spout

Sure sounds like the control valve to me.

American Standard has a Ceramic Cartridge inside the valve. The oring must be worn or torn.

Handles are generally easy to remove. If it's a plastic handle, there will be a disk in the center that you remove. A sharp edge, such as a pocket knife will aid in getting under the lip of the disk and popping it off. Metal handles may have a similar disk OR they will have a set screw somewhere around their perimeter that clamps onto the stem of the valve.

Single handle valves use a cartridge, generally there's rubber cups and springs in it that are replaceable, sometimes you have to replace the whole cartridge, the only way to find out is to just pull it and take it with you to the store. BEFORE you pull the valve, shut off the water main and open the sink faucet for a moment to relieve the pressure on both the hot and cold side. Once the pressure is relieved you can close the faucet and begin work on the shower valve.

Tip: Google your shower valve brand and look for your model. Once you find it or something close, find the service manual for it, or at least an exploded view, to assist in the disassembly. You might even find a part number in there and have a replacement on hand so that your down time is less.