+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs down Pin Holes in copper pipe

Built a new house in 1990, using copper pipe in all water supply lines. But in the past several years had to do some repairs, (so far all the repairs have been near the water supply area). Small pin holes develope in the copper pipes.
    Water supply is from a deep well, there is some sulfer in the water. A Culigan water softner & Culsorb (uses potassium to remove the sulfer) was added to the water system.
    What is eating away at the copper pipe?

What can be done to eliminate the problem?

Seems like a leak develops durring the hollidays when stores are closed. That is why I keep extra pipe and fittings on hand at all times.

Default Re: Pin Holes in copper pipe

my first suspicion would be that the copper pipe is touching another metal causing electrolysis. if the copper is touching another metal it causes an electric current, which then causes the copper to break down. but this usually happens right where the two metals are touching. is this the case?

No this is not the case, it is all copper except were the copper is sweated into the brass bypass valves on the softners.

I thought maybe where they put a piece of metal over the stud to protect nails or screws from going into the copper might actually be touching the pipe which could cause that problem. other than that, maybe someone else has an idea.

Here is a link which discusses this issue : http://www.toolbase.org/Building-Sys...-pinhole-leaks

Note that contrary to someone's belief .... grounding electrical and phone equipment does not contribute to pinholes.

Note that contrary to someone's belief .... grounding electrical and phone equipment does not contribute to pinholes.

Well, I ain't so sure about that. Lemme explain.

Some friends of mine had a bolt of lightning strike the huge oak tree out in their front yard. Big ol' limb was severed and fell on the service entrance lines. System was grounded to the water pipes in the basement. Caused an instant and immense "pinhole leak" at that exact location. Was about the size of a large marble. Does that count?
    Last edited by goldhiller; 12-01-2007 at 01:52 PM.

****hiller ... oh yes .... in the abnormal occurrence that would do it .... Mother Nature doing a little arc welding to the pipes.

But wouldn't that fall into the Marble sized hole category?

I would check the ph of the water. If it is acidic, much below 7, that could be your problem. It eats at the pipe & eventually creates holes.
    If the leaks occur just downstream of a sweated on fitting it could be an excess of flux when the pipe was sweated together. The acid in the flux where it settled inside the pipe can do the same thing as theacidic water

But wouldn't that fall into the Marble sized hole category?

Ooops. My bad.

As Rosanne Rosanna Danna would say...... Never mind.

The most common cause of pin holes is the over use or mis-application of flux when sweating the joints. A little bit gets inside the tubing and sets there until it eats through.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb