+ Reply to Thread

Default Ceiling fixture box

I have a home from the 1830's. One of the ceiling boxes is extremely shallow and it can't accommodate a newer fixture because the there isn't enough space for all the wires. So I want to replace the box with a larger one. The ceiling is plaster and the chandelier I want to hang is about 5-6 pounds. The current box is just screwed to the Lathe. What's the best way to install a new box. Should I cut a larger hole in the ceiling and install wood bracing between the 2nd story joists then install the ceiling box and patch? Or should I cut a hole in the lathe and install one of those plastic boxes with the wings. Any help would be much appreciated.

Default Re: Ceiling fixture box

you shouldn't need to replace the box, you should be able to put your mounting bracket straight onto the shallow box. then there should be enough room for the wires on each side of that bracket. quite often they use a shallow box straight under a truss which gives you the most support for the chandelier.
    Last edited by havanagranite; 12-01-2007 at 04:26 PM.

this would be wood lathe not metal screen. wood lathe is wood strips in almost a continuous line. and these wood strips would offer more then like the metal fan brace support here on lowe's site

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...lingFan.html#4
    Last edited by havanagranite; 12-01-2007 at 03:59 PM.

look at the year of the house it predates either rock lathe or metal lathe. a person who has experience in these trades whould know such a thing. a person who only does internet searches is lost because they don't have the knowledge that comes with time in a trade. their inexperience and lack of knowledge becomes quite evident in their posts and their defensive attitude, and their need to put others down to try to raise their own opinion higher. but when their opinion is done only on internet searches then it will always lack credibility

first the lathe strips are usually stronger than you think, second if you look at my first post you will see that I said they usually put them under a floor joist. the poster said that it weighed probally 5-6 lbs what do you think needs to be up there to hold that little weight? an iron beam?

I now fully understand why you have the rep you do. if anyone disagrees with you, you go into a tirade of slander. and any adjustments to posts that I made were simply an attempt to correct spelling errors that may be made due to trying to type fast.