+ Reply to Thread

Default Priming new drywall

Is one coat of primer (assuming it's of good quality) enough on new drywall before the finish color?

Default Re: Priming new drywall

On new drywall or new drywall compound you should use a primer/sealer .... one good coat will be fine.

Tip .... tint your primer/sealer with the color the paint will be and it's likely you'll only need one coat of finish paint. The darker the finish color the darker the primer/sealer should be.

Hope this helps

before you put on your finish coat is a good time to do any touch ups on your drywall. any imperfections will be more noticable once the wall is primed. if the primer color is close to the color of the dw mud, then take just a little of blue chalk (from your chaulk box for snapping straight lines) and add just a little to the mud you are going to use for touch ups. this will make them stand out better so you make sure you sand them back out. never use red chaulk it will bleed though the paint and be visable.

I think the "of good quality" is the key variable. I recently used some primer that I had used successfully in the past, but it certainly didn't cover nearly as well. It seemed much thinner, got me to wondering if the China Syndrome had invaded the paint supply chain?!

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    before you put on your finish coat is a good time to do any touch ups on your drywall. any imperfections will be more noticable once the wall is primed. if the primer color is close to the color of the dw mud, then take just a little of blue chalk (from your chaulk box for snapping straight lines) and add just a little to the mud you are going to use for touch ups. this will make them stand out better so you make sure you sand them back out. never use red chaulk it will bleed though the paint and be visable.
    Interesting tip using the blue chalk ... I'll have to give that a try myself.... thanks.

Oh ... that red chalk must have a similar sub-atomic reactance as ink .... that we all learned about.

I don't know. if you use just a little red in the mud you end up with a pretty pink. but I wouldn't be caught dead with pink dw mud so wouldn't use it regardless.

Thanks to all for the helpful advice

In my experience, it will take as many coats of primer as it takes to get a good even coat across the surface. It doesn't have to be as perfect as the top coat, of course, but still it needs to be even, otherwise you'll have streaks, shadows, and splotches in your top coat. I generally use two coats of primer and two coats of top color, though as has been said, the darker the top color, the more you'll have to apply to get it to cover properly, and the more important it is to use tinted primers.

Another tip is to apply 2 coats of oil based Kilz if you ever intend to apply wallpaper, then if you ever need to remove the paper it will come off without taking the drywall paper coating with it.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb