+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Home Security

Default Home Security

Hello all, this is my first post here. I'm sure there have been threads on the subject, maybe if I've missed them, you can point me to a few.

I have a new used home, and I'm curious to learn your opinions about home security. 2 topics mainly, bump proof locks, and security monitoring systems. It seems like there's a lot of crime going around and I'd like to keep my place reasonably secure.

There's an extent that we have to go. If we're really afraid, we put up bars, prison style windows, and steel doors. On the other hand, I think that reasonably good locks and a security system may be enough.

Though from some, I've heard security systems are junk. If they slice your phone lines, or jam cell phones, your system is nothing but a beeping horn.

That's where I get interested in things like Xanboo.. http://www.xanboo.com/

What do you think? What's the best thing to do to protect your home for under $500?
    One thing I really like about the idea of Xanboo, is the idea of hooking up smoke detectors.. All that in mind, do you think there are better X10 products?

Thanks for the advice..

Default Re: Home Security

First of all it uses DSL which is over the phone line so is the line is cut......

How far are you from the police, if an alarm is set will they be there in 2 minutes, 20 minutes, or 2 hours?

Bump proof locks are always a good idea because anyone can get bump equipment over the internet.

The best deterrent as far as I can see is to have a system that sounds a loud alarm and turns on all the lights. Thieves are like cockroaches they don't like light.

A radio based system with battery back up is the best type of monitoring systems. But all security systems have their limitations directly inversely proportional to cost.

A Smith and Wesson 357 is also very helpful.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The thing to remember is that security systems, be it a lock on the door or a full on infantry battalion surrounding your home, is only as effective as the crooks are smart and the enticement within your home for them to gain entry.

Let's start with locks. Having a deadbolt in addition to a locking handset makes it only slightly harder than having no locks at all. Doors are easy to kick in because either the jamb gives way or the door does. Got a sliding glass door on the patio? That's even easier than the front door to kick in. Same goes for windows.

Security systems are expensive to install, and even more expensive to maintain the monthly monitoring service. Yet, they are no more effective at stopping a burglar than a car alarm is for stopping a car thief. However, when a system is installed, the company gives you stickers for all your windows, they put a bell box in plain view of the street, and usually some push in sign stakes for the flower bed. It is this implication of an alarm system that does more to stop the common criminal than the presence of an active alarm system. I could go on at length on ways to thwart the typical alarm system. Suffice it to say, if the thieves want in, they're coming in. The smart ones know where the typical person hides things (or doesn't hide things ) and they'll be long gone before the police arrive.

None of these ramblings are to say that you shouldn't lock your doors or shouldn't get an alarm, just be aware that basically, security systems only keep honest people honest, the crooks are always going to find a way around, you just don't want to make it easy for them.

The best protection for under $500 will be a Rottweiller. Seriously, though, a security screen door on the front and side garage door will go a long ways. If you can get your hands on alarm company signage and sticker, do so and put them everywhere. If you can find an old bell box, put it up too. Make it look like you've got a kick-arse system which can include dummy cameras on the corners of the house. Most importantly, don't give folks a reason to be where they don't belong. Keep your garage cleaned out and shut, don't have the window coverings open when you're not home. You could even go so far as to have your wife draw a chalk outline of you while you lay in the entry, then drizzle a little red paint around the "central mass" area.

as you see just talking about it you get some good advice from several people and all of them may have something that may be good. my personal is don't ever put up bars! a friend of ours lost his kids in a house fire just a year or so ago because of bars on the bedroom windows and firemen couldn't get to them. to me the main advice that you recieved that I totally agree with is that crooks hate light and to be seen. which translates to outside lighting, keep all shrubs and bushes low and away from the house (no hiding spaces) at least the appearence of an alarm system (signs stickers) and a good dog that barks and has the apperance of ready to defend. crooks are usually looking for what is easiest, the more difficult you make it look the less likely you are to be broken into. our yard is fenced with a doberman always in the yard, places around us has been broken into but ours has never been bothered.

Well Leslie , THAT was entertaining .

Great information. Thanks for all of the replies. I'll check out the links.
    As for the dog, a relative of mine had a fairly large mountain dog about 80lbs or so. It was a rescue from the pound, and really didn't like anyone. Barked like crazy. 2 teenage crooks broke into their house. It was a rambler. One did something to attract the dog, while the other broke in, then they just locked it in a room. The only real good news was that they didn't case the place so the room they locked it in had all the expensive stereo equipment. So they didn't get that..

The wireless systems seem to be pretty easy to install, but it does look light highway robbery to pay 30 bucks a month plus the cost of the system..

That's what I liked about the xanboo system, is it call's your cell, though I think they have some sort of monitoring fee too.

If someone wants in, they are getting in, but the real positive side of some of these systems is the hook up to a smoke alarm. That's valuable. Could save your home...

A monitored alarm system is usually a waste of money . In my younger days , I was a reserve Police Officer . I can tell you , a burglar alarm is not a real high priority . Most of the time it's a false alarm caused by any number of things . Pets , weather , wind , cheap system , poor installation , etc . Police officers seldom get in a hurry unless it's a "panic " alarm or one of those systems that the monitoring station can hear audio and detects voices . ( Usually a commercial building )

Example : About a year ago , an alarm company called my home and said that my son's alarm was triggered at his home . They were unable to reach him or his wife and we were on the notify list . I drove over to his house , about a fifteen minute trip .
    I walked around and checked all the doors and windows . As I was preparing to leave , the Deputy showed up . This was probably
    about 25 minutes after the alarm was first triggered . What burglar is going to hang around that long with a siren wailing ?
    Even the neighbors were nowhere to be seen .

Good locks , alarm with a loud siren , noisy dog and a good insurance policy . Save your money on the monitoring service unless the fire / smoke alarm is worth it to you .

YukYuk must have watched the movie "Home Alone".
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Jack ... watch out for that 800 lb gorilla.

Geez ... there's a thought ... an 800 lb gorilla instead of a dog.