+ Reply to Thread

Default 2 story support post rotten

I have a deck which the 8"x8" supports are concreted in the ground and run through first floor patio, through the second story and act as supports for the upper deck railing. The second floor railing needs to be replaced and the 8x8 has rotted at the level of the second story floor. Can I safely splice into the existing post? Or should I be looking at replacing the whole support? This is est. 24ft. tall. thx

Default Re: 2 story support post rotten

The second story has roofing material on the decking and has flashing ~6" higher up the post than the deck. They cut a groove around the post to inset the flashing, but in one spot had it going down rather than up...which funneled water in rather than away. The post has broken off near where this flashing was installed. This is about the top 4 feet of a 24 foot post. The other post seem fine now. I was trying to find out if there was a structurally viable alternative to replacing the 24 foot post to replace that 4 feet that supports the upper railing. I would probably cut it 7-8 feet from the top.

By splicing, I meant cutting the post with a sort of z cut in the existing post and a new 8x8 and marrying them at the z. With bolts or bolts and epoxy.

Default Re: 2 story support post rotten

Hmmmm. Wonder why others are ignoring this question.