+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Not just my thumb

I guess that explains the cape on the package.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    kent,

Sounds like you need a pair of mechanic's gloves. Mechanix is the "hot" brand of these things, but there are other brands out there that are just as good if not better......for alot less money. Little anti-banger pads built in right over your knuckles and such. Gloves are thin enough so you can pick up a dime. Wouldn't be surprised if you found yourself wearing them when wiring.

My nephew wrenches cars everyday for a living. A pair I got him last X-mas is still going strong. Loves 'em.

For wound tape......try Elastikon (Johnson & Johnson, IIRC). And yes...that's the correct spelling. It's a heavy cloth medical tape with super-duper adhesion, yet lots of flexibility. Stays on underwater, etc. You can even undoit and reposition if necessary while it's soaking wet. Sticks as if it were dry. So...you can shower and such without losing the dressing. I always have a roll in the lunch-bucket along with some peroxide. Might be hard to find off the shelf, but ask at a local medical supply and they can get it for you. I buy several rolls at a crack. Wouldn't leave home without it.

Well, too late for the gloves on that project. I have a pair of the newer style ballistic construction gloves but there were two 10mm bolts behind the fan blades and only a couple of inches of working room and I couldn't get them out or in wearing gloves.

Hey though, good info on the Elastikon, good timing too. I had printed off a couple of first aid kit contents lists last Friday to go over, over the weekend for restocking the kits on my bikes and backpack................. Thanks.

kent,

I usually get kinda crude about small wound dressing; small slits, cuts, blisters, etc. Only so much room in the lunchbucket, so I just take along the tape and some peroxide.

When the inevitable cut/sc****/blister-pop happens, peroxide first and then.....I whack off a short piece of the tape, turn it upside down so that the adhesive surface is away from the wound and use it that way in place of gauze or such. Then wrap with the tape to hold that in place.

If you put the adhesive surface of the Elastikon directly against the wound.....it's gonna hurt and tear the wound when you eventually yank it off. Guaran-damn-teed.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 12-03-2007 at 10:57 PM.

Well,like durn near everything these days I ordered Elastikon from the comfort of my drafting chair and it will be delivered to my door step. Click, click, tap, tap, tap, click, done.

Funny how things change though. My hands have dozens of scars. I never wore gloves much when I worked in the field everyday. Unless I was bleeding profusely I never bothered with tape or band-aids much either. Shoot nowadays our crews are issued gloves and are required to wear them for most electrical tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    Funny how things change though. My hands have dozens of scars. I never wore gloves much when I worked in the field everyday. Unless I was bleeding profusely I never bothered with tape or band-aids much either. Shoot nowadays our crews are issued gloves and are required to wear them for most electrical tasks.
    In the immortal words of my high school shop teacher, "Don't come to me unless it's a gusher!" LOL What he meant by that is don't raid the med kit for a scratch. Like you, I don't tend to worry about little nicks and sc****s that are dried up by a few swipes on a pant leg (preferably someone elses ... ). The gushers get a bandaid if I've got one, otherwise they'll get trussed up with whatever's handy. OSHA be damned! I gotta get this job done!

Talking Re: Not just my thumb

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Good rule!

Of course even a little leakage doesn't usually stop us Pro's, we just grab a paper towel, some duct tape, truss up the wound, and get back to work.
    if it ain't severed get back to work!
    valdo345

Hey,

For you Red Green type DIY guys (and gals) 3M sells duct tape bandages! (I am not kidding!)

Quote Originally Posted by SherryH View Post
    Hey,

For you Red Green type DIY guys (and gals) 3M sells duct tape bandages! (I am not kidding!)
    By golly, Sherry, they do!

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ialtyBandages/

In 28 years I've lost my share of human hydraulic fluid
    Tales of grabbing whatever was at hand to collect the blood and running out the door so I didn't drip red on a beige carpet, sometimes even out into the rain... tales of 'what-you-got' tape to keep a 'whatever's clean' bandage in place cause that's all that was availlable...tales of a new helper who nail-gunned himself and while I'm running over to help him hearing him say to stay clear of his spurting blood because he had hepatitis C...but own my personal worst was a mid-reshingling job collision between a 20 oz hammer at full speed and my left thumb. Like a squashed tomato it split wide open rather painfully as the air turned blue around me and the hammer went flying into the yard at high velocity. I wrapped the thumb tightly with gauze from my truck and used electrical tape to hold it, making it waterproof since rain was coming and we weren't going to stop laying shingles for just a little rain. Three days later while visiting some folks with a friend, the girl I'd just met mentioned that she was a nurse and she was going to see to my thumb(which was quite tender by now), and she wasn't taking 'no' for an answer. Well, OK I let her go at it, she was between me and the door anyway. When she unwrapped it the smell was awful and it looked even worse than that! Seems that in wrapping it too tight I'd cut off the blood circulation and the waterproof tape seal had cut off the air circulation too. She said another day as it was would have brought me a case of gangrene and probably one less thumb! As she cleaned, disinfected, and antibiotic creamed it I told her to keep the bandage small so I could still work(which her ears didn't seem to catch)then wrapped it up loosely with half a roll of gauze and adhesive tape I left there with my left thumb the size of half a large cucumber...I didn't tell her that it got unwrapped at home and redone to a more useful size or she would have killed me... I've still got my thumb, it works, and that's rather nice I think.

The lesson here is when you get home, take care of the wound correctly, and even if you keep first aid supplies on the job knowing what to do with them is as important as having them available. Spend an evening or two taking a Red Cross First Aid course(they're usually free)for the life or limb you save just might be your own!

MC

MC, unfortunately, that seems to be the only way to adjust the sights on a hammer. Sounds like you expertly tuned the hammer and I'll bet it didn't miss nails for a great long time, after that!