+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile Not just my thumb

We just purchased a new older home and are getting ready to sell our old older home. As I have recently left the work force it has become my job to get the old house in ready to sell while making the new house "ours". Fortunately for me the houses are next door to each other! Because I am a fairly small women, carrying ladders and 5 gallon buckets of paint comes with a price. I am so black and blue some days that it looks like I have been in a fight, not working on the houses. My legs looked so bad in the summer that I could not wear shorts in public. I have not fallen off a ladder yet (I keep my cell phone with me at all times) nor have I done something so wrong it had to be done again (unless you count the room I had to repaint because I did not stir the paint well enough causing touch-ups to be just a little bit different color than the rest of the walls). I decided that in order to stay alive I adopted a new work rule... I stop the work for the day when I draw blood.

Default Re: Not just my thumb

Quote Originally Posted by samsmom View Post
    I decided that in order to stay alive I adopted a new work rule... I stop the work for the day when I draw blood.
    Good rule!

Of course even a little leakage doesn't usually stop us Pro's, we just grab a paper towel, some duct tape, truss up the wound, and get back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by samsmom View Post
    ... I stop the work for the day when I draw blood.
    ……..You would never make it as an electrician…………. LOL! Just kidding.

The Tuesday before Thanksgiving the alternator in my pickup went out. I could not handle the thought of it being in the shop all day Wednesday or possibly not getting it back ‘till after T-day. The roads were bad so riding my Harley was out of the question and I did not want to bother anyone for my transportation needs.

I went to the parts store and went back home to change the alternator out myself. Man, am I glad I’m not a mechanic! My hands looked like hamburger when I finished up.

I admire your tenacity.

usually refer to it as having left dna evidence that we were there

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    usually refer to it as having left dna evidence that we were there
    A job well done should be signed.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Good rule!

Of course even a little leakage doesn't usually stop us Pro's, we just grab a paper towel, some duct tape, truss up the wound, and get back to work.
    You know , electrical tape will hold a gauze pad in place real well . I've had one on my hand for two days . The first day was white , today was red ,maybe blue tape tomorrow .

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    You know , electrical tape will hold a gauze pad in place real well . I've had one on my hand for two days . The first day was white , today was red ,maybe blue tape tomorrow .
    Since I'm not a sparky, I use whatever is close at hand. I've used duct tape, painters tape, elekumtrickity tape, masking tape, packing tape, you name it. In lieu of tape I've even wrapped a finger with tissue and slipped on a vinyl or rubber glove. Of course, these items are only used when the OSHA approved med-kit has just been ransacked by the electrician ...

I use whatever is close at hand. I've used duct tape, painters tape, elekumtrickity tape, masking tape, packing tape, you name it. In lieu of tape I've even wrapped a finger with tissue and slipped on a vinyl or rubber glove.
    We've even used "Super Glue" occasionally to close up a cut.
    HTH

Dave

kent,

Sounds like you need a pair of mechanic's gloves. Mechanix is the "hot" brand of these things, but there are other brands out there that are just as good if not better......for alot less money. Little anti-banger pads built in right over your knuckles and such. Gloves are thin enough so you can pick up a dime. Wouldn't be surprised if you found yourself wearing them when wiring.

My nephew wrenches cars everyday for a living. A pair I got him last X-mas is still going strong. Loves 'em.

For wound tape......try Elastikon (Johnson & Johnson, IIRC). And yes...that's the correct spelling. It's a heavy cloth medical tape with super-duper adhesion, yet lots of flexibility. Stays on underwater, etc. You can even undoit and reposition if necessary while it's soaking wet. Sticks as if it were dry. So...you can shower and such without losing the dressing. I always have a roll in the lunch-bucket along with some peroxide. Might be hard to find off the shelf, but ask at a local medical supply and they can get it for you. I buy several rolls at a crack. Wouldn't leave home without it.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 12-02-2007 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    For wound tape......try Elastikon
    Sounds more like one of the characters from the latest Transformers movie! A mild mannered bandage by day that morphs into Elastikon! protector of the universe!