+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ink on walls

Default Re: ink on walls

I'm certainly not a pro but I have done my fair share of painting over that last few years. I use Sherwin Williams and it covers beautifully with two coats, tried other brands first but was not happy. Their Duration paint is expensive but does wash well. Just make sure that you don't roll so much that you take the paint back off the wall (I've seen this...shhh...my husband used a gallon and a half on our tiny bedroom, he had to use 3 coats because he would roll and roll and roll...now I do all of the painting)
    Also...I have found that no matter what color I am trying to cover, priming the walls first really helps get a nice even finish.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by shayla View Post
    Just make sure that you don't roll so much that you take the paint back off the wall (I've seen this...shhh...my husband used a gallon and a half on our tiny bedroom, he had to use 3 coats because he would roll and roll and roll...now I do all of the painting)
    Dang! Smart man! Why, oh why didn't I think of that years ago?!

Got to go with Spruce on this point. Rare was the occasion when a couple coats of Bin would not stop an ink or Magic Marker stain. As Spruce states, the problem is that Bin seals the spot TOO well and you must try to even out the sealing of the wall or risk shiney spots where the Bin was used.

There is hardly a coating/sealer for which I have more respect than shellac. It is probably the most "organic" coating out there and it has been around for ages. It is even used to coat medical pills! I always carried a gallon of Bin at the ready in my work truck.

I am always amazed at how many people fail to read the labels on paint cans. They would avoid many of the problems that arise. The most common problem is that people put too little paint on, trying to make a gallon do a room that really needs a gallon and a half or so. Putting too much on is equally as bad.
    Under ideal conditions, many paints will cover in one coat: walls not to "dry", walls not to slick, color change not too drastic.

It is never wrong to prime, but sometimes it is overkill, i.e walls are in good condition, quality paint already on them, walls not coated with higher than an eggshell sheen, color change not too great etc.

IF IN DOUBT - PRIME!

The irony is that a good primer is usually considerably cheaper than paint, yet people are reluctant to use it!