+ Reply to Thread

Default grease build up in the main pipe

Hi,

I have an 80 years old house. We have to use snake to clean the sewer pipe under basement ground every 6 months. After we hired somebody to do a vedio inspection in the sewer pipe, we found that over the time there is a thick layer of grease built in it that made the pipe becomes very small and therefore, very easy to trap waste and more grease.

Is there a way that we can do ourselves to clean out this thick layer of grease?

Thanks

Default Re: grease build up in the main pipe

roto router can come in and totally clean the pipe out. seen this a few times that stuff is nasty. was in old cast pipe and he climbed under his house and leaned on it and it broke. so we just went ahead and replaced it all since it was a fairly small house and easy to get to. it took one afternoon. took longer to haul the old pipe out then it did to install new pipe. I have to say it again man it was gross

I'm with HG. Roto-Rooter will have the specialty cutterheads and equipment you really need to cut that junk out of there.

A local plumber *may* have this equipment also, but RR is a sure bet.

We don't cook greasy food. We don't pour grease neither, but we have tenant living upstairs and all we can do is to ask them not to pour grease into drain. Those grease was from many years' built up, before we bought the house. I know not to pour grease into drain, but I need advice on how to clean out the existing pipe.

Some people told me that pouring bleach and hot water into drain will work, any idea?

sorry but that won't work, the reason is it really isn't grease like out of the pan, rather it is a little of all the solids that have been poured down the drain over decades. it really has built up more than any chemical on its own can handle

Thanks for everybody's advice. Is it possible that we rent those special head for snake to do it ourselves? I got a quote from a local contractor not Roto, they want more than $1000 to do the work

Suggest you get a quote or estimate from RR. $1000 sounds like too much....off the cuff.

Then again, I don't know how many feet of pipe are involved or how difficult or easy access is to all lengths of the pipe involved.

It would be best, me thinks, if you could get RR to stop and do a site survey before giving you a price/estimate. Seeing things firsthand is always better/more reliable.

Thanks everybody, I will contact RR.

I have tried this with some success. A product called "drain care" brand name is Zep commercial. wwwzepcommercial.com (product code ZDC16)

This product contains enzymes, these things litteraly eat/break down grease.

Its available at home depot. Used regularly according to label, the problem should go away..
    Good luck with this my friend