+ Reply to Thread

Default ventilating a bathroom the old fashioned way

My victorian house has two skylights. One sky light is original, and is located above the stairs. It has small vents on the sides, and one would tug at a pull chain to open the vents to let the hot air out (it was an old fashioned air conditioning system). The other skylight is in the bathroom, and it was replaced a few years ago. It has no vents - just glass. The problem is that the bathroom has no ventilation system, and instead of installing an electric ventilator, we would love to install something similar to the original skylight we have above the stairs. At some open house, we saw a skylight/ventilation system in the bathroom. The skylight was glass and it had a round hole in the middle with a tin cap. We tugged on the pull chain, and it ventilated the entire bathroom. The owner of the house was not there, so we couldn't ask where he purchased the sky light. Does anyone know where I can buy this kind of sky light? Thanks.

Default Re: ventilating a bathroom the old fashioned way

I couldn't find what you discribed , it may have been a custom piece, but I did a fixed skylight with vent flap at http://www.veluxusa.com/products/sky...dWithVentFlap/
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the link. I should have described what I am looking for in more detail. The old skylight I have is triangular - it looks like a glass tent on my roof with vents on the side. I would like to have a similar skylight in the bathroom, except with a tin hole at the apex so that air can escape through it (imagine a glass tent with a tin "chimney" at the top). The tin hole has an open/close flap that is attached to a pull string to control the airflow. Any ideas?

I understand why you want to keep the look of the old venting skylight.
    My Grandmother had one in her circa 1920 house & I always thought it was cool. As I recall it was a tilting pane with a pull chain.
    However in a bathroom I can see a single pane skylight with a metal chimney causing all sort of condensation problems to the point of water dripping & staining in cold weather. Maybe that was why it was removed. You didn't mention the climate so maybe that isn't a concern.
    Most of the window & skylight manufacturers make manual or electrically operated venting skylights.
    In my Maryland climate I wouldn't mind an exhaust fan & the venting skylight. This time of year the skylight would be mostly closed, but in the spring, summer & fall I could see using it a lot.

Thanks! This is exactly what we are looking for! We do have a flat roof, and this would be perfect!