+ Reply to Thread

Question Modular - Prefab Building

Hello:
    I seem to remember there was a previous TV project were the house was a "Modular - Prefab Building".
    The walls were made in a factory setting under controlled conditions and then shipped to the building site and put together there.
    This type of construction should improve the quality, speed, and lower the cost of building in general. I am surprised this type of building hasn't taken over the construction industry.
    Any way, I lived in CBS homes now live in a manufactured home and would like to "upgrade" to a modular home and thus have the best of both worlds.
    I now live in north central Florida.

Thanks for your responses and advise as to where and how I can proceed.
    Howard

Default Re: Modular - Prefab Building

I have dealt with many different forms of prefab buildings some of the earlier ones probally about 25 years ago in this area (Tallahassee) the only real problem with the prefab is that it doesn't take into account any on site irregularities. on some of them their stud layout is friendly for the drywall hanger. but they are like a lot of other products out there some real good and some you wonder how they stay in business. don't take anything for granted and do your research

Wink Re: Modular - Prefab Building

Thanks for the comment and information.
    If you saw the TV show I was talking about,
    the whole wall including the drywall
    was put together on the stud frame at the factory.
    Sections of foundation were prefab and then put together at the site as was the roof.
    The guy who ordered the home knew his stuff!
    That is why I'm trying to find out what show it was.
    H-