+ Reply to Thread

Question new treatment for old knotty pine walls and ceilings

Our house was built in 1944, and nearly all the walls and ceilings are done in knotty pine, which was a common treatment for mountain cabins of that era. The wood was stained and varnished at the time and has not been touched since. The varnish has yellowed, and the stain is darkish and not an especially pretty color--it's sort of a "moose lodge" look. As a result, the rooms are dark even when the sun is shining in, and they are not very inviting. I don't even like to sit in the living room.

My husband is opposed to painting this wood because he likes the natural look. He also feels that stripping off the old varnish, sanding, and restaining in a lighter color, such as a whitish wash, will be prohibitively expensive. I've lived with these dark rooms for 20 years, and despite their "rustic charm," I'm tired of them.

If these were your walls and ceilings, what would you do?
    Last edited by joanm; 11-26-2007 at 10:00 AM. Reason: typo

Default Re: new treatment for old knotty pine walls and ceilings

I'm faced with the same dilemna. I have a Maine cottage that has been closed up for the past three winters and it really feels dark in there. I'm curious . . . did you end of changing those walls? In the meantime, I would like to find some way to really clean the walls and especially the cabinets. What do you use?

Default Re: new treatment for old knotty pine walls and ceilings

Quote Originally Posted by joanm View Post
    Our house was built in 1944, and nearly all the walls and ceilings are done in knotty pine, which was a common treatment for mountain cabins of that era. The wood was stained and varnished at the time and has not been touched since. The varnish has yellowed, and the stain is darkish and not an especially pretty color--it's sort of a "moose lodge" look. As a result, the rooms are dark even when the sun is shining in, and they are not very inviting. I don't even like to sit in the living room.

My husband is opposed to painting this wood because he likes the natural look. He also feels that stripping off the old varnish, sanding, and restaining in a lighter color, such as a whitish wash, will be prohibitively expensive. I've lived with these dark rooms for 20 years, and despite their "rustic charm," I'm tired of them.

If these were your walls and ceilings, what would you do?
    I've been married for nearly 47 years years and found it best to do whatever my wife wanted in the house. She's the one that's in there all the time.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb