+ Reply to Thread

Default Two-wires on one terminal on dipole switch

I've just started to learn about electrical work, and today I mapped the circuits in my home. However, I have one light switch (a ganged device with one switch and one empty spot) that doesn't control anything. I removed the cover and got out my circuit tester (without killing the power at the service panel) because I wanted to see if the wires are hot. I'd like to figure out why I have this inactive switch in my house. I also did some research ****** about how to test for hot wires.

I believe that the switch is a simple dipole, as it has only two screw terminals on it (aside from the green grounding screw). I was able to determine that the wire at top is hot by touching one probe on my circuit tester to it, and the other to the box (which must be grounded, because the light came on on my circuit tester). However, I noticed something strange--there are two wires attached to the top screw terminal. When I tried to touch the probe to the second wire (still with the other to ground), I received a big flash, and the end of the metal probe of my circuit tester has taken some serious damage.

Now I'm really confused. For one thing, I'm feeling pretty nervous about working with electricity again! Also, I don't understand why I was able to touch one wire safely, but not the second wire. Shouldn't they be at the same potential when they're attached to the same metal terminal? And, why on earth would two wires be attached to the same terminal on a dipole switch? This doesn't match any diagram in my electrical book.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2620.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	403  

Default Re: Two-wires on one terminal on dipole switch

If both wires are on the same terminal , then they are at the same potential . Is it possible that your probe touched a grounded part of the switch at the same time you touched the hot terminal ? It can happen , I know ...

I agree with Djhons on what happened. A second wire on the hot terminal usually means it is a hot wire going to another device like an outlet. It's called daisy chaining.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks to you both. I think you're right--I think I touched a grounded part of the switch with the probe.

Also, thanks for explaining the two wires. I'll disconnect everything (with the power off!) and then see what stops working. Maybe this will help me to figure out how this is wired in the circuit.

Thanks much!

I always marveled at someone who could get two wires under a screw!!!

Thanks for the advice. I'll tackle this project again this weekend.