+ Reply to Thread

Default Fireplace Form - A Fire Hazard?

Hi,

My husband and I are in the process of purchasing a home. The inspector looked into the ash clean out in the basement and told us that the wooden fireplace form was not removed after the hearth was installed.

The inspector made it seem like a big deal to have the form removed, as it might be a fire hazard.

We can not find any information ****** about what this process looks like, who we could hire to do it, and how much it might cost.

Any feedback that anyone has on their experience with wooden fireplace forms - removal or other would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks,

-Jennifer (Hiker4296)

Default Re: Fireplace Form - A Fire Hazard?

I don't know about a fire hazard without seeing it for myself, however if it's in contact with the earth, then it's absolutely an avenue for pest infiltration, i.e. termites. If you purchase the house, just remove the form materials and you should be fine.

Thanks - any ideas on what type of professional to contract with - or price range? Are we talking thousands, or hundreds?

Again, without seeing it, I can't really say, however, I doubt that it will be much of a job. It's probably something you can do yourself if you've got a hammer and prybar. Do you have the ability to take a picture of the issue and post it?