+ Reply to Thread
    Betsy Guest

Default The House I Grew Up In

Hi. I'm interested in seeing houses other people grew up in.

Here are two pics of the house I grew up in, built in 1942 with 18-inch-thick walls made of Wissahockon schist.

The basement and kitchen were still the originals when my mom moved out, last year!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7693.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	8   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7722.jpg 
Views:	488 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	9  

Default Re: The House I Grew Up In

I still live in the house I grew up in but it's not the same. My late father had what must be called a rennovation pre-occupation. As built the house was 1900 square feet on a 24 inch crawlspace. Over the years he added and rennovated. I spent 33 years in the Army and inherited it when I retired. It now has a full basement, a wrap around screen porch, a 3 car garage and is over 5000 sq.ft. The heating system is his idea and I love it. We don't get too much cold weather here in Georgia but heat is still needed. So he had radiant heat added under the floor (single story house). Then overhead he ran the air conditioning with the outlets over or near a ceiling fan. Right now it's 94 degrees, the thermostat is set at 85 with the ceiling fans running at slow speed and is's very comfortable in here.
    Sorry I couldn't post pics. I hope my narrative will give you the general idea.

I grew up in the projects in Queens NY..doubt you wanna see a picture.
    6 story brick building with about 20 of the exact same builds within four city blocks..close to the entrance to the 59th St Bridge to Manhatten...then we moved to a house on LI and I'll tell ya what....I LOVED growing up in the projects...not that I'd wanna go back there to live : )
    When we moved to LI I hated it for yearsssssssssssss.
    Its all relative ain't it?
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Time for a remodel.

Smile Re: The House I Grew Up In

The house I grew up in was a salt box style. That's what my grandmother called it. Built in the 50's by the man that my grandparents bought it from.

The interior was painted eggshell white my whole life with the exception of the room I shared with my mother, and sister. It was blue to match the pressed glass over head fixture. Under the paint were notes that bled through, my mother and father's initials intertwined, who my mother had a crush on with the dates they went out.

It broke my heart when my Aunt sold it. But she and my grandmother agreed that Grandma wouldn't ever be moving home so it was time. Then some slum lord let renters destroy it. I hate driving by it now. I can't even look at the neighborhood when we drive by.

When I dream about my family we're always in that house. Most of the time we all live there in a maze of hallways and rooms that spring up like something out of "Harry Potter". There we are my grandparents, three daughters and sons in law, the 5 granddaughters with husbands and 11 great grandkids mostly boys in that tiny magical house. ::sniff:: and Dr. Phil on retainer.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
    Hi. I'm interested in seeing houses other people grew up in.

Here are two pics of the house I grew up in, built in 1942 with 18-inch-thick walls made of Wissahockon schist.
    I used to live in a Bauhaus buliding.
    It old kind of old white building with large windows.
    The building is still there .... actually it is preserved so it will be there for long time.
    I wil try to take some pics for you.