+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Re: Protect ceiling above wood furnace

Let me ask all of you here.

How many of you ever seen Log Cabin home?

How many of you ever seen wood stove insert?

What do they [ Log Cabin Home and wood stove insert ] have in common?

How they are different from OP statement?

Default Re: Protect ceiling above wood furnace

"Not of the combustible variety! That's a joke, right?

If sparks are flying when he opens the door, so is heat and gasses. Carbonization of wood occurs at much lower temperatures than combustion of wood. Carbonized wood combusts at lower temperatures as well.

250 degree F temperature change or 325 degrees F absolute."

Just to clarify for the OP in case he thinks he is in danger of torching his house with the current set-up based on the frantic rantings listed previously....

It is ridiculous to think the temp 36" away from the wood stove is anything above 150 degF. I can't believe I wasted valuable time doing this, but I have taken actual temp readings of my install this evening. The temp on the flue pipe itself, 24" from the stove which is at approx 500 deg F was understandably the hottest at 225 degF. The temp on the side of the stove at 18" distance is 140 degF, temp 18" from the front is 160 degF (glass front throws the heat very nicely!). The temp on the drywall 57" directly above the stove is a non combustible 110 degF.

Clearance for the flue pipe according to code and mfg recommendations is 18" to combustibles. Spec clearance from the sides and front of the stove is 33", clearance from the back is 24".

I have had occasional sparks come out the open door and I do not have any scorch or burn marks on the ceiling drywall. They are extinguished prior to getting to the drywall. From my experience it is more important to have no combustible material in front of the stove. I have had many more embers spit horizontally when opening the door than sparks that go vertical. Stand to the side when opening the stove, crack the door about an inch for about 15 seconds prior to opening the rest of the way!

Sorry, but I will miss any more of the rantings as I have discovered the "ignore" feature!
    Last edited by titleist; 11-26-2007 at 09:39 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post

I have had occasional sparks come out the open door and I do not have any scorch or burn marks on the ceiling drywall. They are extinguished prior to getting to the drywall. From my experience it is more important to have no combustible material in front of the stove. I have had many more embers spit horizontally when opening the door than sparks that go vertical. Stand to the side when opening the stove, crack the door about an inch for about 15 seconds prior to opening the rest of the way!

Thank You for perfect explanation.

I've own fireplace and wood stove. I never have seen spark flying to ceiling. 100% of the time sparks fly horizontally.

Hypothetically, if the OP is burning wood or coal in open 50 gallon drum then it would make sense to have some kind of fireproofing ceiling or what ever.

Here's one point every one seems to have missed, it's not a wood burning stove or fireplace insert. It's a wood burning furnace. As such it should be of even less a problem because they are not designed to radiate heat but to heat air that is circulated through the house. There should be very little heat radiated.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Bee in your bonnet Dan Ackroyd …. Oops … I mean DwarfWytch…. perhaps you’re off your medication ?.

What in the world is wrong with you … taking a rather simple topic of discussion and twisting into some psychotic sounding board for yourself. Like the previous ruckus with Alice & Frank that revolved around you …. they were right on the money … you do like the sound of your own voice.

You’re also acting like an impatient spoiled little child waiting for a response.

I’m concerned about your well being … you really should learn to calm down I’d hate to see your blood pressure go through the roof…. you are getting up there in age.
    That could be fatal and we would hate to see your brother write in saying you succumbed to a heart attack or perhaps that your head exploded.

I hope you can find it in you to forgive my absence. There is a life away from the forum and duty called. Since I have a job and unlike you, don’t feel the need to google everything there is to google all day long.

As the original poster stated they have a wood furnace. So it would seem there isn’t any issue with fireproof ceilings being a requirement or was the poster asking about specifications on any components being fire rated.

The suggestion of using cement board was for the concern the original poster had for sparks … not to fire proof the house. I offered the suggestion simply that the paper facing of drywall may be scorched by the sparks where as the cement board is not susceptible to this problem.

Their own website is their rating not mine.

http://www.usg.com/navigate.do?resource=/USG_Marketing_Content/usg.com/web_files/products/prod_details/DUROCK_Brand_Cement_Board.htm

http://www.usg.com/USG_Marketing_Content/usg.com/web_files/Documents/MSDS/Drck_CementBoard-MSDS_14-090-001.pdf

Nice new identity to divert...

CHALLENGE CANUK TO SUPPORT HIS ASSERTIONS.

and the self-involved enema perscriptor (who apparently has his own mind up his ...) support your own assertions...name one authoritative reference for your claims.
    This is just psychotic if you are saying that I need to post with a new identity … unlike others.
    Geez …. if you had your own knowledge based web-site I guess that would be the only authoritative reference anyone would ever need.

Are you up to the challenge to back up what you have stated? I am, in fact spoke with Tech Directors at both UL and USG this very morning.

Good for you…. I’ll bet they wish you didn't …. obviously you have nothing else to do with your life.

If I’m wrong with something I’ll stand corrected but not on your say so.

Btw… next time you’re invited to the White House for dinner …. ask for an autographed picture of the President for me … will you ?

Tick Toc.....

First off I would like to apologize ( something you would never do DW ) for the thread being ruined. Since DwarfWytch has already ruined this thread it seems to have turned into a discussion in a different direction.

Thank you for your opinions DwarfWytch ..... they mean absolutely "0" in my rating.

Once again you have clearly demonstrated your blah blah posting which many are sick of.

As I stated earlier I will stand corrected when I'm wrong .... but not on your say so.

Unfortunately it's too late for suggesting a new name for the forum ... here's a couple that would have been suitable :

The Wytch Way To Do Things

or

Ask This Old Wytch

... watch out Kevin ... DwarfWytch is gunning for the host spot on the show.

Now shall we get back to the regularly scheduled program ????

Yup, been working on this mountain cabin in my spare time and during warmer weather. It has this old time wood cook stove in the kitchen. Big old cast iron thing must have been built around the turn of the century and I’ve often wondered about all the life it has seen. Anyway, the ceiling in the kitchen consists of wooden beams at about seven feet with t&g nailed down for the floor above. During cooler weather the first chore is to get a roaring fire burning in that stove to take the chill off. It does a great job of it too.

Reading through this thread has been great entertainment. I have had many a chuckle and have thought to myself that according to one poster that cabin probably should have burned to the ground years ago because I do not have a heat shield equaling something along the lines of the underside of the space shuttle. I figure I have also put myself in grave, mortal danger for not wearing PPE when I throw another log on the fire. LOL! At the very least a face shield and fireman’s coat.

I suppose it kind of shows to go. Why offer simple reasonable solutions to what seems to me to be a pretty simple issue? When, after all, confusing, baffling, illogical solutions can be meted out for the cost of an internet connection and the ability to do Google searches.

I guess what I have really thought about is that I kind of view my life as a train. People get on the train and then off the train. Some are on the ride for a very short time and others are on for the whole ride. I sometimes don’t understand all of the passengers but accept the fact that they are on my ride at the moment. Point being that I am grateful and thankful that some people who post on the internet are not on my train. In knowing that, in knowing that there are people out there like that, I offer a little prayer of thanks.

Oh, to the original poster; wonder if you have contacted NASA? Maybe they have a few heat shield bricks off of the space shuttle lying around? Although, if you do I would recommend you get some documentation from them that it is suitable for your application. Oh, and make sure you use space shuttle heat shield glue which I’m not sure is available at HD or not.

Kent ....

Very enjoyable reading and a life lesson to take with... nicely done

Ya know............ I also find it interesting that this forum is hosted by This Old House, which is a show about the renovation of old houses.........and according to some folks.......none of these old houses should be standing anymore.....and all of their inhabitants shoulda died in short order......... because these old houses were built of and with .....materials without the benefit of "testing labs".....any codes.....any inspectors, etc.........no internet........and no Google.

I guess sometimes common sense actually CAN get the deed done. Imagine that.

Modern day hysteria is just that...and all too frequently......an end unto itself. Sad, but true.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 11-29-2007 at 02:01 PM.