+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Protect ceiling above wood furnace

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ackroyd View Post
    BigWalt you're an ignorant phuck. Stick with stuffing your trailer's electrical boxes like sausages and burning yourself up in your trailer. Pity the fools whose cars you touch.
    Back off.

It's time this forum had some active moderators to control things.

To clarify ....so there is no guessing ,erroneous , disinformation .... Durock brand cement board is UL listed for wall/ceiling protectors in high heat areas like fireplace fronts with a fire rating of " o " .

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfWytch View Post
    The purpose was to answer the questions posed by the original post, and correct the disinformation that followed, additionally authoritative and responsive links were supplied. You couldn't grasp that?!? Not surprised.
    the information you gave was referring to suspended ceiling grid. this is different a totally different product than was refered to. they do make a suspended grid that drywall can be hung on which will give them a fire rating but no better of a rating than drywall hung straight to the joists

never mind jumped into an argument that I didn't intend to get into. and I believe you are correct I don't remember durock ever have a rating. (Crumbles to fast under high heat )

Holy ash pan Batman, some folks need an enema to relax a little!!

Its really a lot more simple than some folks seem to want to admit.

If heat transfer to the floor above is more than you want, insulate then put up drywall. If you are getting that many sparks coming out of the woodstove and it makes you nervous, use cement board rather than drywall or use thin sheet metal on the drywall to isolate the paper face of the drywall.

You could always place some kind of screen over the stove to dampen the sparks before they rise to the ceiling while loading the stove.

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    Holy ash pan Batman, some folks need an enema to relax a little!!
    Well put!

LOL!

A suspended ceiling grid is not necessarily a product. Actually it is also part of a rated fire-resistant floor-ceiling system assembly. I don't agree with your conclusion of the last sentance.

That's right (at least as a ceiling under joists)! Canuk introduced a grid system when he mentioned channel and an airspace and suggested CBB directly applied to joists or with an "airspace" of CBB installed on metal channel which would then be fastened to the joists was appropriate (never is). However, the information regarding ratings, material, and a floor-ceiling fire-resistance rated assembly I offered did not have a limited application to a suspended ceiling, but also pertaines to a mounted ceiling which is part of a rated floor-ceiling assembly (ANSI/UL 263). Canuk then claimed Durock was rated for use as a ceiling protection or ceiling sheilding (fire/heat) containing joists below habital space which was erroneous and false.

I still challenge him (Canuk) to support either of those claims, and to define what the canuck system of a "fire rating of 'o' " is, as well as canuk's authoritative definition of "fireproof".
    when he spoke of u channel I figured he was refering to hat channel which can be used in a fire rated assembly, it would be attached to the joists and then sheetrock attached to it and that would give a rating. I couldn't find anything as far as a rating for durarock but walboards equivalent does have a rating for use on walls, but didn't find anything on any cement board for a ceiling application

Both of those suggestions would be wrong. CBB is not a substitute for gyp board or mineral board. Metal should not be placed directly on paper faced gyp board on the ceiling.

Close, but no cigar.

A spark/ember arrestor you're getting closer helps with one of the OP's issues, still doesn't protect from heat though, still needs a proper finished system to the ceiling/floor.
    No, they are not wrong for what the OP is trying to solve. I'll try to keep it simple for the self involved.....

The heat issue he is dealing with is not of the combustible variety. From his description it is simply trying to deflect excessive warmth from the stove off the subfloor / joists of the above floor. Insulation and drywall will do this. He would also like to protect against the occasional spark rising from the woodstove. The cement board or thin metal sheeting will do this.

Your logic would have him build a cement enclosure in his basement to house the wood stove which is way more than is necessary for what he is trying to accomplish. Typical clearance from a wood stove to combustibles is 36" max and can be as close as 18" if there is a skirt for air circulation around the stove. Let's try to keep this realistic for this guy and help him resolve his issue.

If the OP hasn't died from laughter at some of these posts, it would be useful to verify he has 36" from the top of his stove to the joists above. It would also be useful to verify the distance from his flue pipe to the joists or any other combustibles.

Quote Originally Posted by titleist View Post
    No, they are not wrong for what the OP is trying to solve...........

I'll try to keep it simple for the self involved....................................

***! man o man am I impressed, titleist! It only took you four posts before you had it figured out!
    Last edited by kentvw; 11-26-2007 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    ***! man o man am I impressed, titleist! It only took you four posts before you had it figured out!
    And the odds are very good that I won't last to 10 posts on this board with posters like that "contributing". It's not worth my time to bring some sanity to the discussion if its not worth the time of the moderators to minimize the insanity.

Correction, just found the "ignore" button as I was browsing around, I may make it past 10 posts
    Last edited by titleist; 11-26-2007 at 06:50 PM.