+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Protect ceiling above wood furnace

Have a century home with a wood furnace in basement. Is there a way to protect and/or insulate the ceiling directly above furnace? I would like to keep the ceiling (and hardwood floor in living room above) from any further drying and shrinking. Would also like something to proect ceiling from chance of any sparks rising as I load furnace.

Thanks!

Default Re: Protect ceiling above wood furnace

Is your basement finished or un-finished?

The materials used would be different depending on what your basement looks like now. I think getting an small 1" or so airspace between layers in the ceiling would be an effective way to keep the upstairs floor from excessive heat.

hang 5/8 type x drywall above your woodstove, tape all joints this will give you protection against sparks and heat.

Basement is unfinished.

Would 5.8" type X need a metal heat shield?

A quick and easy fix would be to get a stove pad and nail it to the rafters with the metal side down.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I have a coal stove in our unfinished basement and in the immediate area above it I have insulation between the floor joists and then drywall.

The bedroom right above the stove would get too warm that is the reason for the insulation. I did not do the entire ceiling because I wanted to heat the rest of the subfloor to warm the floors upstairs. It works very well, being barefoot in the winter is not at all uncomfortable. I also have hardwood floors throughout the house and don't have any excessive problems with shrinking. If you are having problems with the hardwood separating because the inside air is too dry during heating season, maybe a humidifier would help.