+ Reply to Thread

Cool Hardwood Floors from trash to treasure?

Can someone help us? We have a house that is roughly 50 years old and the house next door was built at the same time. the house next door burned and they gutted it and put in all tile floors, good for us, I hope so! We salvaged all that hardwood flooring, still on the screeds(?) not sure of the spelling. Our house has hardwood throughout but we've added a huge addition, new dining room, living room and kitchen which I want to have all hardwood to match the rest of the house. Problem is the concrete foundation is about an inch and a half shorter than the hardwood floor inside, done on purpose by my other half 20 years ago in anticipation of this date which came only because I threw a fit! So here we are... we have the flooring, it's been in the addition for 3 years now, so it's conditioned but how on earth do we do this? How do you install the screeds and how do you lay to it? We're both pretty savy, one of us is a major procrastinator and he better get my house done or else. Needless to say waiting 20 years for this is really getting on my nerves. Can someone please help?
    thanks in advance, Debi
    Last edited by Debi; 11-23-2007 at 09:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Hardwood Floors from trash to treasure?

I don't know what sleepers or Tapcons are. Can you elaborate?

I'm not sure what you mean by "salvaging hardwood flooring still on the screeds" Around here a screed is a a leveling device drawn over freshly poured concrete or sand.
    If the flooring is 3/4" you can nail or glue PT 1 X 4 's on their side (3/4" thick) to the concrete, then nail the HW flooring to the strips.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Nice write up DW. I had never heard of that use of the word screed.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb