+ Reply to Thread

Default painting wall paper

What if anything do I need to do differnt when painting wall paper?
    Last edited by vchannah; 11-23-2007 at 03:09 PM.

Default Re: painting wall paper

I have seen it done several times . It always looks like painted wallpaper . Usually a bad idea .

vchannah... if you want to paint the wallpaper treat it like any other surface to paint. Clean it with TSP first then use a primer and finally the paint. Hopefully it's well secured to the wall.

Like djohns mentioned it looks like wallpaper painted.

Cheers.

I have a 120 yr old house and it is impossilbe to strip the hundreds of feet of wallpaper due to the poor job the guy did. (I think he didn't prep the drywall and in other places, he has already painted over the wallpaper.)

So I understand that sometimes it seems like the only choice. There are some other threads on here that give recommendations for how to do it. As far as it looking like painted wallpaper, we are going to do a textured look (like a Tuswcan theme) in our house and I am hoping that will help hide imperfections and seams. (Although I will also be putting compound over the seams before priming. You will probably want to do that.)

Lowe's has a number of different texturized paints on the market right now.

First, remove it if you can. A little time now will save you many headaches down the road. If you cant, first oil prime the area. Then mud your seams with light coats of topping compound. Texture and paint. Use a light spray texture, you don't want moisture getting into the wallpaper glue and blistering. I have done this many times and have not had a problem yet.

I would second Tacoma's advice. If at all possible, I would try to get the paper off. It can almost always be removed, but sometimes it is expedient to seal it in.

I would add that I like to go over the paper with my finger tips first, feeling for lapped seams and loose paper. I sand down the edges and cut out any loose paper I find. I then prime with a non-water soluble primer. I then patch any imperfections, sand and spot prime. Blanking the walls out with white primer also helps highlight any areas that might need additional attention.

If you use a water based primer, you risk having that moisture reach the paste and causing the paper to start to release. The oil or shellac based primer will be a moisture barrier. The finish coat can then be water based acrylic/latex.

In a very old house, you might be encountering old fashioned wallpaper which did not come with a vinyl coating, as has been common in the last 30 years or so. This makes it imperative that you put a moisture barrier primer on it. Of course, if that old paper did not have a plastic coating, you could probably have gotten it off in the first place!

Thx Ordjen for explaining the madness to my method . I did forget a few steps that you explained very well. I also forgot to explain that you need to caulk, (with oil based caulk), any edges, top and bottom where there maybe a slight gap. This also prevents moisture from getting to the glue. DO NOT use silicone.

Painted paper doesn't work over the long run unless you've got near 100% adhesion- especially at the edges and seams. Humidity happens and sooner or later it's going to loosen that paper's bond along with everything on top of it.

Remove all the paper that you can. I usually spray on soapy water, let it sit till tomorrow, soak it again then scr-ape while still damp, re-wetting as needed. Try to keep gouges minimal but don't fret too much- you'll be skimming with compound anyway. It's not hard work but it's tedious- once done you'll know why I don't hang wallpaper or borders for anyone including me!

Phil

Mastercarpenter,

I would agree that assuring the existance of good adhesion is important. That is why I like to go over all the seams and edges with my finger tips. Loose paper has a distinct hollow, loose sound when tapped with the fingers. These areas can be cut out, sealed and patched.

But given my choice, I would still take it off if at all possible.