+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Turning heat down, is it a myth?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ackroyd View Post
    What a moron bigwalt is! Hijacks a thread with moronic blabber then thinks mentioning a martini makes him sophisticated and cool.

What an ignorant phuck.
    Back off.

It's time this forum had some active moderators to control things.

I know that the experts have already chimed in so take this with a grain of salt.

I experimented with turning the heat down and this is what I've found...

1: You need an electronic thermostat if you don't already have one. Set it to turn the heat down right before you go to bed and turn it back up about an hour before you wake up.

2: I don't vary the temperature by more than 3 degrees farenheit. The furnace just has to work it's behind off otherwise and, my theory is that once all of the stuff (furniture, drywall, wood etc) cools off, it seems like it takes more energy to warm it back up than I would save by turning the thermostat down lower.

3: No one else mentioned it but, I open all blinds/curtains/d****s on the East, South and West sides of the house during the day for the solar gain. It doesn't help much but any is better than none!

4: On a windy day, walk around your house with a cigarette, matches or some other method of detecting drafts and check around all baseboards, window trim, outlet covers, switch plates and so forth. Yes, do the INTERIOR walls too, they can let in cold air too. Also check inside of all closets and cabinets, particularly where pipes pass through walls. Caulk any drafty spots that you find.

5: If you have foundation vents, block them off! As I learned from Canuk and a few others, dead (still) air is better than moving air.

I hope that this helps you out!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Warped View Post
    I know that the experts have already chimed in so take this with a grain of salt.

I experimented with turning the heat down and this is what I've found...

1: You need an electronic thermostat if you don't already have one. Set it to turn the heat down right before you go to bed and turn it back up about an hour before you wake up.

2: I don't vary the temperature by more than 3 degrees farenheit. The furnace just has to work it's behind off otherwise and, my theory is that once all of the stuff (furniture, drywall, wood etc) cools off, it seems like it takes more energy to warm it back up than I would save by turning the thermostat down lower.

3: No one else mentioned it but, I open all blinds/curtains/d****s on the East, South and West sides of the house during the day for the solar gain. It doesn't help much but any is better than none!

4: On a windy day, walk around your house with a cigarette, matches or some other method of detecting drafts and check around all baseboards, window trim, outlet covers, switch plates and so forth. Yes, do the INTERIOR walls too, they can let in cold air too. Also check inside of all closets and cabinets, particularly where pipes pass through walls. Caulk any drafty spots that you find.

5: If you have foundation vents, block them off! As I learned from Canuk and a few others, dead (still) air is better than moving air.

I hope that this helps you out!

Jeff

Thanks for the advice, I have to talk to my husband about the heat. Our furnace cycles on and off for about 1/2 hour, then is quiet for about 1/2 hour. So I'm not sure if it's the furnace, or the fact the house is cold. But we'll get it checked out here soon.

I do keep the d****s open on sunny days. If it's at least 40 outside, I can keep the temp inside around 72 without even trying. I was hoping the plastic didn't affect the solar heat coming in. So far it doesn't appear too. Just obscures my view.

Right now there is 2 leaks I found over the chili weekend. The vent hood above the stove lets in a ton of cold air. Not sure what to do about it either. I can't cover it up because of the heat. I may take the cover off and stuff some insulation deep inside. The fan never did work right, so I've never turned it on.

The other leak I don't know what to do about is right in the front door where the holes for the dead bolt is drilled. As of now I have a rag stuffed in the door, Can't put much right there because then we can't lock the door, so I'm open to suggestions.

THanks