+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Turning heat down, is it a myth?

Cold weather finally set into Colorado last night. I had been keeping the night time temps set to 55 because it rarely dropped below 60. However, last night it got very very cold in the house. This morning it took just about 3 hours to bring the house up to 68, where I normally have it during the day when I'm home.

Our house is 30 years old. Our furnace and ducts were cleaned just over a year ago when we moved in. Everything is in great shape. It's gas, forced air. Our windows leak cold air, but I put plastic over them on the inside, and that has cut down on drafts. The insulation could be thicker, but it's a good 12 inches in the attic.

What I noticed last night is that the temps dropped pretty quickly I'd say about an hour and a half to 2 hours to get to 55. Then the heat kicked on and off all night, then a 3 hour warm up. Are we really saving any money with having to take 3 hours to heat the house?

Anyone have any ideas on how to keep a house warm that we haven't already thought of?

Last winter our heating bill reached $200 This year we really can't afford that, especially so early in the season.

Default Re: Turning heat down, is it a myth?

That's a pretty big swing from 55 - 68 ( 13 degrees) so it will take awhile for the furnace to run. I would recommend to play with the set back temps ..... say try only an 8 degree change.

For example the low for tonight around here is expected to be 0 degree F.
    I have my thermostat set for around 60 at night and 68 for the morning. It seems to be a good range for the furnace to not turn on too much over night and not too big of a shift that it runs too long in the morning.
    I live in a home that's 54 years old with not much insulation ... yet.

Any reduction is worth the savings.

Talking Re: Turning heat down, is it a myth?

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post

For example the low for tonight around here is expected to be 0 degree F.
    YIKES... Right now, here in Carolina is 58 degrees. Tomorrow will be closer to 80 degrees.

I'll be on my deck wearing sunglasses , shorts and drinking martini.

Walt ... I'm on my way ... what time are the martini's being served.

Talking Re: Turning heat down, is it a myth?

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Walt ... I'm on my way ... what time are the martini's being served.
    Martini? ;hic: ..martini? :hic: :burp: it is gone now. LOL

Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Just my luck.

Happy Thanksgiving to you BigWalt and everyone else down there.

Back to the subject. Our house was built in 1870 we run above 70 degrees during the day and turn the heat down to 60 at night. It has cut our heating bill in half. Unless it is very cold (below freezing) it usually takes most of or all night for the temp to drop far enough for the furnace to come on. I believe your best course of action would be to do more winterizing you're losing your heat to fast. Investigate some solar heat boxes to help during the day, that heat would be free and they're easy to build.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

We may get the furnace checked out a little later. Right now, we've both been out of work, and every penny counts. Right now we're kind of in a catch 22. Hoping for warmer weather soon.

I have reset things so the heat only goes down to 60 at night and that seems to make a big difference, so that is where we will probably keep it the rest of winter. We have done all the winterizing I know how to do. There is plastic, and heavy d****s over all the windows, We caulked the windows that had bad leaks that didn't open anyway. We put weather stripping around all the gap in the doors.

Normally our house heats up rather well. Even on a day we don't get out of the 30's, if the sun is out we can hit 75 in the house without even trying. But the past 3 days, sunny Colorado, hasn't been so sunny. I agree there is heat loss somewhere, and without doing an energy audit we probably won't know where, or how to fix it.

Since all the martini's in CA are gone I guess I'll just have to stick it out here and check the web site for other tips. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Capellam44 View Post
    I have reset things so the heat only goes down to 60 at night and that seems to make a big difference, so that is where we will probably keep it the rest of winter. We have done all the winterizing I know how to do. There is plastic, and heavy d****s over all the windows, We caulked the windows that had bad leaks that didn't open anyway. We put weather stripping around all the gap in the doors.
    Glad that worked out.

It's something that has to be played around with to find the right happy medium. Every home will be different so there is no set temperature that will work for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWalt View Post
    YIKES... Right now, here in Carolina is 58 degrees. Tomorrow will be closer to 80 degrees.

I'll be on my deck wearing sunglasses , shorts and drinking martini.

What a moron bigwalt is! Hijacks a thread with moronic blabber then thinks mentioning a martini makes him sophisticated and cool.

What an ignorant phuck.