+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Exclamation Turning heat down, is it a myth?

Cold weather finally set into Colorado last night. I had been keeping the night time temps set to 55 because it rarely dropped below 60. However, last night it got very very cold in the house. This morning it took just about 3 hours to bring the house up to 68, where I normally have it during the day when I'm home.

Our house is 30 years old. Our furnace and ducts were cleaned just over a year ago when we moved in. Everything is in great shape. It's gas, forced air. Our windows leak cold air, but I put plastic over them on the inside, and that has cut down on drafts. The insulation could be thicker, but it's a good 12 inches in the attic.

What I noticed last night is that the temps dropped pretty quickly I'd say about an hour and a half to 2 hours to get to 55. Then the heat kicked on and off all night, then a 3 hour warm up. Are we really saving any money with having to take 3 hours to heat the house?

Anyone have any ideas on how to keep a house warm that we haven't already thought of?

Last winter our heating bill reached $200 This year we really can't afford that, especially so early in the season.

Default Re: Turning heat down, is it a myth?

That's a pretty big swing from 55 - 68 ( 13 degrees) so it will take awhile for the furnace to run. I would recommend to play with the set back temps ..... say try only an 8 degree change.

For example the low for tonight around here is expected to be 0 degree F.
    I have my thermostat set for around 60 at night and 68 for the morning. It seems to be a good range for the furnace to not turn on too much over night and not too big of a shift that it runs too long in the morning.
    I live in a home that's 54 years old with not much insulation ... yet.

Any reduction is worth the savings.

Talking Re: Turning heat down, is it a myth?

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post

For example the low for tonight around here is expected to be 0 degree F.
    YIKES... Right now, here in Carolina is 58 degrees. Tomorrow will be closer to 80 degrees.

I'll be on my deck wearing sunglasses , shorts and drinking martini.

Walt ... I'm on my way ... what time are the martini's being served.

Talking Re: Turning heat down, is it a myth?

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Walt ... I'm on my way ... what time are the martini's being served.
    Martini? ;hic: ..martini? :hic: :burp: it is gone now. LOL

Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Just my luck.

Happy Thanksgiving to you BigWalt and everyone else down there.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWalt View Post
    YIKES... Right now, here in Carolina is 58 degrees. Tomorrow will be closer to 80 degrees.

I'll be on my deck wearing sunglasses , shorts and drinking martini.

What a moron bigwalt is! Hijacks a thread with moronic blabber then thinks mentioning a martini makes him sophisticated and cool.

What an ignorant phuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ackroyd View Post
    What a moron bigwalt is! Hijacks a thread with moronic blabber then thinks mentioning a martini makes him sophisticated and cool.

What an ignorant phuck.
    Back off.

It's time this forum had some active moderators to control things.

I know that the experts have already chimed in so take this with a grain of salt.

I experimented with turning the heat down and this is what I've found...

1: You need an electronic thermostat if you don't already have one. Set it to turn the heat down right before you go to bed and turn it back up about an hour before you wake up.

2: I don't vary the temperature by more than 3 degrees farenheit. The furnace just has to work it's behind off otherwise and, my theory is that once all of the stuff (furniture, drywall, wood etc) cools off, it seems like it takes more energy to warm it back up than I would save by turning the thermostat down lower.

3: No one else mentioned it but, I open all blinds/curtains/d****s on the East, South and West sides of the house during the day for the solar gain. It doesn't help much but any is better than none!

4: On a windy day, walk around your house with a cigarette, matches or some other method of detecting drafts and check around all baseboards, window trim, outlet covers, switch plates and so forth. Yes, do the INTERIOR walls too, they can let in cold air too. Also check inside of all closets and cabinets, particularly where pipes pass through walls. Caulk any drafty spots that you find.

5: If you have foundation vents, block them off! As I learned from Canuk and a few others, dead (still) air is better than moving air.

I hope that this helps you out!

Jeff