+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My roof

Hybrid View

Smile My roof

In 2003 and 2004 I reroofed my house and garage. (I took a break during the winter!) I used rubber slates like TOH used on the Billerica house but I went with a different manufacturer. I chose this product because I'd lost two asphalt shingle roofs to hail damage in 3 years and the rubber slates are basically hail proof. I had one helper. We did all the work ourselves mostly on weekends) and it was a BIG job. My roof is 10/12 pitch, two stories, about 40 squares, and has a lot of intersecting roof lines and dormers.

I have two favorite stories about this project. One involves my coworkers. I live close to where I work and some of my coworkers are also my neighbors. One of my neighbors/coworkers (R.) passed my house every day on the way to work. R. was asking me about the roof project one day when I came into work. Another coworker (T.) overheard this and asked me about it. I told him I was reroofing my house. He asked me a few questions about it -- size, pitch, two story house, etc. Then he looked at me and said, "Nah," and smiled and shook his head. He thought I was making the whole thing up. He apparently didn't think a woman would roof her house herself. Then R. told him that I really was roofing my house myself -- he'd seen it. Then T. looked at me in amazement and said, "I'm impressed!" He went around work telling people that I was roofing my house myself.

My other favorite story is about my non-dumpster. I knew this project was going to be long since we were working on it in sections and mostly just on weekends and I didn't want a dumpster for months. I had intended to collect up all the debris from the roofing project (including tearing off the old roof) and then get a dumpster when I was all done to get rid of the debris. Shortly into the project I decided to start getting rid of some of the debris in my weekly garbage. I figured that every little bit I threw away during the project was that much less I'd have to shovel into the dumpster at the end. Well, since my project took a long time I ended up throwing away my whole entire old roof and all my construction debris in my weekly garbage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof front.JPG 
Views:	275 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	37   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof back.JPG 
Views:	255 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	38   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof texture.JPG 
Views:	336 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	39  

Default Re: My roof

Looks great, Sherry, but why didn't you mention the manufacturer's name in case others are looking for a source?
    Ive been married for 45 years, so I know better than tell a woman she couldn't do something.
    Jack

Hi Jack,

I used Duraslate by Royal Building Products.

Here is their website:
    http://www.royalbuildingproducts.com/index.html

I wanted to include the link to the Duraslate page itself but I can not find it on their website anymore. I e-mailed them and asked if it was discontinued.

Here's another website with some informaation on it:
    http://www.seattleroofing.com/duraslate.htm

Thanks.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

You mentioned hail damage. One thing we've found about the synthetic slate is that in climates where the sun is very strong the tiles will tend to harden and become brittle as they age. A friend's roof has the synthetic slate and it's about 11-12 years old. He cracked 2 just by putting a ladder on the edge.
    This might be some to talk to the manufacturer about.

I got an e-mail back from Royal Building Products today. Duraslate is now discontinued. I asked them if there was anything defective about it. I also want to know how they are going to honor a warranty claim in the event I have one. (The roof has a 50-year warranty with 47 years left on it.)

I'll let you know what I find out.

Royal Building Products has discontinued the Duraslate. (They will still honor my warranty.)

If you are interested in a synthetic roof you can check out Authentic Roof (the roof they used on the Billerica house):
    http://www.authentic-roof.com/

The Ecostar synthetic roof:
    http://www.ecostarinc.com/homeowners.html

Try a Google search using "synthetic roof" for more options.

When I did my roof I ordered samples from three manufacturers. (They were not free.) You really do need to see and feel one of the roof tiles and compare them to see which one you like best. Don't rely on a picture. Also, contact the manufacturer and ask about fading, curling, and brittleness from exposure to UV light. Also compare the warranties carefully. When I picked out my roof tiles 5 years ago I found and checked out 4 manufacturers: the two above plus Royal and Welsh Mountain Slate. I did not consider Authentic Roof because they had the worst warranty at the time -- it did not cover any labor costs. Most roofing products carry a warranty on the product itself. The other synthetic roofing products carried a warranty on the labor, too. But things might have changed in the last 5 years so again, check carefully. If you ever have to replace the roof the labor is a significant portion of the bill so labor coverage in the warranty is valuable. Also, check on the transferability of the warranty.