+ Reply to Thread

Default Beautiful old tub - with faulty drain

This past Saturday we moved into our "new" old home. It's a federalist style brick home built in 1925 - and we are the third owners. The inspection report was very thorough, but (of course) there are always a few surprises that you don't expect. The upstairs guest bath looks to be original to the house, and has the vintage pedestal sink and a huge, luxurious porcelain tub. There is no shower plumbing in the bathroom, something we'd hope to change eventually. Of more pressing concern, however, is the fact that I can't seem to figure out how to repair the "stopper" in the tub. There are three knobs in the bathtub. "Hot", "Cold" and "Open/Close."

Now, I've got to admit, I've never seen a tub like this before. However, the open/close knob I'm assuming would close the drain for the tub to fill. When you turn the knob, you do hear a clanking metal sound, but I'm unable to get the drain to actually close - no matter what position the knob is in. Unlike more modern drains which often have a screw in them, I can't figure out how to remove the domed drain cover. And even if I did - I'm not sure I'd know what to do if I was able to remove the drain. The drain is highly domed, making it virtually impossible to find a silicone stopper that will cover it.

Any advice or help for this plumbing conundrum would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Beautiful old tub - with faulty drain

How is the knob attached? It sounds like whatever attaches the knob to the stopper is br5oken. You might be able to remove the knob and either reattach it or replace the broken parts.