+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fancenancy

Default fancenancy

I live in a community mobil home in Florida. The sillcock that allows the water to come in from the water supply meter is spurting out water! It's wasteful and expensive! Also the sillcock handle just keeps turning, either way, and doesn't change a thing. How to I know what to buy at the hardware store and how do I get the water at the meter turned off, I'm assuming it will be necessary. Please help as soon as possible!

Default Re: fancenancy

Don't you have a management company? They should be the one doing a repair.
    Their should be a main cutoff valve at or near the meter. They are usually underground in freezing climates.

Thank you ED21! In my community we own our homes but not the land and I am responsble, as far as the water goes, at the point it comes into my home, ie, my sillcock and all plumbing problems.
    Right now it's a matter of not having the money to hire a plumber. If this happened three weeks from now the money wouldn't be a problem. As an aside the meter is on my lawn but it takes a certain tool to close it. If you have any more help I'd so appreciate it.

Thank you DwarfWytch. I'm researching the "gate valve" and will be in touch with the water supplier right away. Appreciate your help!

I got the impression the main water for the community was leaking.
    As DW said get the water company to shut off the water.
    Most valves & houses have a shut off valve. If you don't, screw a hose & nozzle on the sill cock just to temporarily limit the flow if possible or some kind of cap.

If it's the shutoff valve for your home after the meter you'll have to contact the water utility to shut off the water from outside.
    Depending what you wish to do with your shut off valve .... repair or replace .... it may be likely they will not wait around after they shut the water off while you do your work. You would likely have to call them back to turn on the water which means however long it takes them to do this.

Some plumbers are allowed and have the special wrench ( or key sometimes referred to ) to shut off the water from outside. If this is not allowed then a plumber may be able to convince the water utility people to standby while he does the repair/replace ... since he will work quicker than the average DIY.

Your help has been wonderful! I can see, now, that I did not explain my problem clearly! Today I am at the point that I will buy a pvc (plastic ?) "shut off valve" for the water coming into my home from the meter because my home is plumbed with PVC. I plan to "cut out" the brass shutoff valve and glue in my new one!
    I think my last question is: Is there any reason why I should not use my "electric knife" to cut the pipe? (If it matters I found a way to get my meter turned "OFF" and will not have any trouble with water.) I really cannot thank you enough for all your help!

Thanks again DW! I didn't get IT done yesterday because I found that the connecting pipes to the valve are "white and hard" and not flexible for what I planned. I'm going to assume it's the CPCV you mentioned. Could I be correct? If I am, you're s wonder! I'm really at a point that I think I need a plumber! Money for the plumber is hard to come by but I know I can cause more problems! Do you agree or is there anything else you might suggest. If it's a plumber, it's a plumber. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by fancenancy View Post
    I'm really at a point that I think I need a plumber! Money for the plumber is hard to come by but I know I can cause more problems!
    If you don't feel comfortable at this point it sounds like a good idea to call a plumber. Like you said you don't want cause more problems. You might be surprised that it may not cost all that much ... besides the plumber will likely have everything they need to do the job quickly and properly.

Good luck.

I can only say "Thank You All" for your help.

I used up all that energy worrying and seeking to find that your suggestions "worked"! I called a plumber, from my "yellow pages" and "bless his soul" he gave me the name and number of someone in my community that could help me sooner than he could.

HE FIXED IT and I paid for supplies (a minimal amount of money) and a promise of a homemade apple pie to be picked up Sunday (tomorrow). What a relief!