+ Reply to Thread

Default Slow..... slow...... leak.

I have a very slow leak somewhere around the plumbing access to my shower/tub that I’ve been chasing for some time now. I’ve been placing a 12oz ‘Tupper ware’ container just underneath and between the shut-offs. I check it once a week and it fills up about half way. I replaced the shower valve due to some water stains around that, but that doesn’t seem to be the culprit. I’ve sat and watched the access area while my wife showers, but don’t see any drips. Any one else have any other ideas?

I’ve recently place a plastic sheet in the wall between the shut-offs and the area where the tub wall and tub meet… to try and pin down where the leak is. My thinking is if my container has water in it in a week, it will mean the shut-off may have a very slow leak in them. If there is no water in the container, then maybe I need to re-caulk where the tile and tub meet (no obvious cracks there now.) Any other methods to determine where the leak could be?

Thanks!

Default Re: Slow..... slow...... leak.

Tim,
    You might try some water detection paste like Kolor Kut Paste or SarGel. You may be able to pick some up at your local gas station, they use it on the end of their dig stick to check for water in the underground tanks.
    Jack

I have an idea for you. I don’t claim it is a good idea but it might help….

Get some cooking spray (like Pam) that is used to coat cookware. Spray the pipe or fitting you want to check for leaks. Then get some baby powder and coat the pipe with the powder. (If you can not sprinkle it directly onto the pipe then shake the container good. You can get a lot of the powder in the air when you squirt it and this will create a lot of airborne powder which should coat the pipe.) Then check the pipes and fitting for a water trail. If you coated your pipes well enough the water trail should be clearly visible.

most leaks around tubs are due to old caulk, check that first.
    barring any leaks from around the tub,and any possible migration of water from the throat of the tub spout into behind the tile,then your problem stems from the actual valve itself or the soldering of the joints on the lines to the valve, or the spout or shower head.