+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default spotty painted finish

Hi I recently had a large living and dining room wall skimed coated professionally. I primed twice with extra good qaulity primer. I used laytex eggshell soft rose paint. It looked great from afar but due to the sunlight that filters into the room, you can see all the spots that were left. I painted this three times. The areas seem shiny copmpared to the rest of the wall. My guess its the plaster "sucking" up the paint. I have been painting for some time but never had as much sunlight. Any suggestions? I was expecting a nice finish on this wall. Thanks,
    Kim

Default Re: spotty painted finish

dwarfwytch; Thanks for your post. I did use a roller, 3/8 thickness for smooth and semi smooth walls. The roller was a wooster. The wall was new last March and I just got around to painting it this Sept. So it had time to set. The plasterer said they use a glue that could shine through. The primer was designed for new drywall, and was primed twice and set before any painting took place. I stirred the paint, prior and periodically throughout the work process. Maybe not enough? My brother swears by Benjamin Moore oil base for a good cover. He paints a lot for his multiple properties. I also have painted many walls, this my first challenge. Do you think I should try an oil base? Thanks for yout input.

Kim have your Brother get you a gallon of BM Fresh Start primer Latex give the wall a real good coat of the prime, then after it drys then paint your finish paint two even coats you should be good.

Thumbs up Re: spotty painted finish

Frankawitz;
    Thank you for your reply I went to Benjamin Moore Dealer and consulted with him as well. He suggested the same as you about the primer. I did the priming and now waiting for time to finish the job. I purchased high quality Benjamin Moore latex paint. I will post when I'm done. Thanks for all your help.

Kim

KIm, I often worked with professional plasterers when I had extensive patching to do in older plaster houses. I would let the plaster cure throughly, which could take several days to a month if it was a deep patch, and then prime the whole area with Bin Sealer. Plaster is very alkaline and will burn through and look blotchy in comparison to the older painted surfaces. I have never found a water based primer which blocks alkaline burn a well as Bin.