+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Solar Shingles

Betsy Guest

Question Solar Shingles

Hi. How do they hold up to wind, rain, cold? Can you step on them? How long do they typically last before needing to be replaced?

Default Re: Solar Shingles

Quote Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
    Hi. How do they hold up to wind, rain, cold? Can you step on them? How long do they typically last before needing to be replaced?
    The ones I have seen to date are rated up to 120mph winds - not enough for Florida, unfortunately, if you expect them to survive the hurricanes.

As for the lifetime, they're really too new to know for sure, regardless of any ratings by the manufacturer(s).
    Tom Stangl
    Hidden Content
    Prius Visual FAQ Home
    Hidden Content
    DSM Visual FAQ home

Caveat: IANAC (I Am Not A Contractor) - I am simply a DIYer that tends to do a lot of research. Contact licensed Contractors/Architects/whatever for the final legal word on any advice.

Betsy,

Check out Solar Today or In Business. The solar shingle by Siemans Solar had been out and proven for over 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
    it very much depends on the manufactur and the installer
    under normal conditions (no hurricane, earthquaqes... ) there's no reason they wouldn't last for decades.
    I wouldn't advice to step on them, at least becuse of the dust if not vecuse they might be broken...