+ Reply to Thread

Default Dirty screen on washing machine

Once a week we have to remove the water line from the washing machine and clean out the screen because it is clogged with a gritty sandy substance. As it clogs up it stops the flow of hot water into my machine. I'm trying to find out where this substance is coming from. Could it be coming from the water heater or from the water lines? The water heater was installed a couple years ago, it was brand new but it sat in storage for an unknown period of time. I have no idea how old it is.

Default Re: Dirty screen on washing machine

Are you on city water or private well?

"New" house to you and yours?

If on private well, try running a 5-gallon bucket of water, then let it sit for a day or more......and look to see if there's sandy sediment on the bottom. (Do one test for hot water and one for cold)

You may need sediment filtration of some manner if on private well and sediment is present. Many options there from small units to large units.

If no sediment is seen on bottom of bucket in cold water test ...or you are on city water, then likely the WH is the culprit.

You could try draining and flushing it (don't forget to turn off power or gas first). If it's loaded with sediment, don't hold your breath. This can be difficult to clean effectively/thoroughly.

Do the aerators on the bath or kitchen sinks also load up with sandy material? They may or may not. Kinda depends upon type of aerator and the size of the sediment particles. Washing machines usually have finer screens than most other fixtures.

I'm suspecting the WH because if there's sediment in the supply water, then the cold water screen on the washing machine should also load up/clog.

Which brings abut the possibility that what you have there is a WH with one of the "old" faulty plastic dip-tubes. If this WH was manufactured between '93 and '97....this becomes more likely. These faulty tubes would disingrate, sometimes in small particles, sometimes in larger pieces. Whichever, the particles will have a plastic appearance (as opposed to real sand)......off-white to cream colored. If this is what you're encountering, then the cure may be as simple as removing the old dip-tube, replacing with a new dip-tube and then draining/flushing the WH.

http://www.thehomeinspector.com/Clients/DipTube.html
    Last edited by goldhiller; 11-17-2007 at 11:28 PM.