+ Reply to Thread

Default Bathtub stopper broken

Looking for instructions on how to fix a broken bathtub stopper. Can't seem to find any details on removing and fix one.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: Bathtub stopper broken

Are you referring to the type that is actuated by a lever in the overflow escutcheon? If so, remove the screws in the escutcheon plate and carefully pull the assembly up and out of the overflow tube. From there, you'll have to determine what the problem was and whether the unit can be fixed or needs to be replaced. Repair parts can most likely be found at a plumbing supply shop. Big box stores probably won't have what you need.

Thanks. I will remove and inspect. Does one just gently pull out the mechanism or are there any "tricks" of the trade on removing it?

It should come out with relative ease, though keep in mind that a certain amount of sludge and corrosion has probably accumulated, so while using force is not recommended, some gentle persuasion may be necessary.

On my tub, not only is the lever broken, but the part that connects to the lever is broken as well. I tried to see it but I can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by kdhow2 View Post
    On my tub, not only is the lever broken, but the part that connects to the lever is broken as well. I tried to see it but I can't find it.
    You might try fishing out the stopper with a wire coat hanger or similar snatch device. If it is inextricable, then disassembly of the overflow/drain will likely be necessary. Access to the underside/back of the tub will be required.