+ Reply to Thread

Default Mercury Vapor Security Light

Good Morning ( Model No.OAL 175 MV 120 LP )( Brand Lithonia )
    I have two 175 watt mercury vapor lights that I have rewired to be able to make them work with 100 watt yellow light blubs.First
    I have put in mogul bulb adapters to be able to accept the small bulb base then I disconnected the transformer completely. I have taken the red wire coming from the photo control and tied it straight to the incoming hot (Black Wire) have run the black wire to the fixture. Have the white wire from the photo control going to the fixture, then coming from the fixture back down to the incoming neutral ( white )and of course the ground to the ground. The problem I am having is at dark they come on and work just fine but at daylight when they cut off they start coming on and off all day long. Could it be that this photo control will only work with the mercury vapor light and there transfer if so is there any thing I can do other than putting them on a timer instead of a photocell.
    I hope this make since to the electrician
    Thanks
    Have a Great Day
    Russ

Default Re: Mercury Vapor Security Light

Just a thought but on every photo cell I have seen black ties to the incoming hot and red is the switch leg going to the load or fixture. You might try swapping the two.

Photo switches are usually just that switches. If it is wired correctly, most have a sensitivity setting that is adjustable . You may have bumped it during the change over and it may be so sensitive that it is coming on because of cloud cover or shading.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I'm of the same thinking .... as kentvw suggested ... swapping the red & black wires.

Good Morning
    You are correct I changed the two wires around and it works great.
    Have Great
    Thanksgiving Holiday.
    Russ
    Russ as I mentioned in the reply I'll post your private message for others that may be following along to view.

Thanks for the feed back and great that it worked out.