+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Panel

Default New Panel

Hi all, this is my first post,
    I needed to add a new circuit in my basement recently and am out of room on my 60 amp panel. We’ve decided to up-grade and install a new 100 amp panel and run some new dedicated circuits for our entertainment center and PC as well. I do have SOME electrical prowess and am pretty confident I can manage this task. My question is, has anyone done this before, and what, if any problems did you encounter?

Thanks in advance,
    tgossman

Default Re: New Panel

Well...............

I don't work with tools anymore unless you count PC's, digital plan measurers, thumb counters and highlighters as tools, but, I have done 100's of service changes in the past. Each one pretty much the same as the next yet each can have it's own set of unique "issues".

The biggest deal for me was to go survey the particular change-out, come up with a very detailed list of material and then rock and roll. Customers did not like the idea of their fridge’s and freezers out for more than a couple of hours so I would quickly rip out the old and reinstall the new getting the existing circuits heated back up as quickly as possible.

Ummm ... hopefully the OP is not thinking about changing the panel themselves ... this not a DIY project considering the disconnect at the meter would be required.

The service feeds may have to be replaced switching from 60 amp to 100 amp service and depending on the requirements the mast may have to be replaced as well.

One other consideration is your homeowners insurance. If for instance, God forgive, your house burns down due to an electrical problem and the carrier finds out you DIY.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

While heeding the precautions mentioned above, this project is do-able. I've replaced a few 60-amp fuse panels with 100-amp breaker panels in the past for various reasons, such as needing more circuits, or needing to install GFCI breakers for swimming pool filters, etc.

After replacing the panel, just replace the new 100-amp main breaker with a 60-amp breaker.
    HTH

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by tgossman View Post
    Hi all, this is my first post,
    I needed to add a new circuit in my basement recently and am out of room on my 60 amp panel. We’ve decided to up-grade and install a new 100 amp panel and run some new dedicated circuits for our entertainment center and PC as well. I do have SOME electrical prowess and am pretty confident I can manage this task. My question is, has anyone done this before, and what, if any problems did you encounter?

Thanks in advance,
    tgossman
    Sorry but your 100 amp replacement panel and service is as useless as your present 60 amp service.
    Plan for the future, if not for you, but for selling the house.
    Please get a pro to upgrade your needs to a 200 amp service.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    Sorry but your 100 amp replacement panel and service is as useless as your present 60 amp service.
    Plan for the future, if not for you, but for selling the house.
    Please get a pro to upgrade your needs to a 200 amp service.
    Thanks for all the input, my question to your post is, why? I don't mean to be flippant, but in my small(1000sq ft) bungalow with a postage stamp yard and gas appliances, isn't 200 amps overkill?

Thanks,
    tgossman

To try and make a point that residential load calculations for service size is based on the amperage rating of the breakers installed in the panel is ludicrous at best. It’s flat bad, misleading information.

I have 1500 sq/ft combo gas and electric with AC and a 100amp service is more than adequate for my home and it was built only a few years ago.

Here is a great residential load calculation tool put out by one of the top code gurus in the USA. You can open it if you have MS Excel on your PC or, you can down load “Open Office” for free to use it.

http://www.mikeholt.com/documents/ca...lculations.xls

If you are upgrading the service from 60 amps it might be worth considering going to 200 amp service. ... for the reason you're up grading in the first place.

Speaking from experience .... when I bought this home it was the same situation. There was a 60 amp service and I upgraded it to 100 amp which was enough initially ... even with the addition of more circuits in the home and A/C . Then I built a garage and wanted to run electrical to it .... with only 100 amp service restricted the amount that could be run ... leaving less than I wanted. In hindsight it would have been a good idea to have installed the 200 amp service at the time ... now I'm sitting on the fence debating whether or not to bite the bullet and shell out more cash to re-do it.

If you have to change the the service feed to the home consider the cost of running a 200 amp service to determine if you can justify it. It does have some merit as to resale of the home as well.

Food for thought.
    Last edited by canuk; 11-20-2007 at 02:20 PM.

I have read this thread with great interest and feel that our electrical service is woefully undersized! I am in the middle of holiday preparations and am so thankful that Thanksgiving will be held at my sisters home!

By following the guidance so graciously given by Dwarfwytch (Thank you so!) I have come to the following conclusion. –

I counted all of the switches in the electric box and noted the numbers imprinted on each. (I am pretty sure these numbers are the ampers each one has in it?)

I counted four with 50 stamped on them, four with 30 stamped on them, 6 with 20 and the rest with 15. There are 42 places for these switches and there is one big switch on the top that has a 200 on it.

I am almost certain that the previous home owner must not have used a qualified electrician (Or worse, did the work himself!) to add way too many switches!

I did as Dwarfwytch suggested and added them up. The number when added is 860!

My question is do I need an 860 amper service?

Some mention was made about 80% or 125% which I did not quite understand. Does that mean I need a 688 amper service or do I need a 1,075 amper service?

I would like to have this work done prior to my Christmas guest arriving for the holidays! I am sure they will be needing as many amperes or more than mentioned.

How long will this work take to complete?

Thank you so! What a wonderful, informative site you have TOH! My husband loves your show and I watch along with him. Kevin is so cute!