+ Reply to Thread
    Brooke Guest

Question Looking for a converter that Tommy used on a recent show.

Tommy recently used a tool that converts a drill to a power screwdriver. It was a round metal piece that fits onto a drill and over the drill bit so that you can fit a screwdriver bit into the metal cover without having to take the drill bit out. If that makes any sense! Anyone know what this is called or where to find it? I'm looking for something for a Christmas gift for a handyman who has everything.

Default Re: Looking for a converter that Tommy used on a recent show.

Yeah, just what is that thingamajig!

Here is one example. You can get them at most any hardware stores nowadays as well.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...htm?E+coastest

Brooke Guest

Smile Re: Looking for a converter that Tommy used on a recent show.

I think these would fit the bill but the tool Tommy had was actually one cylindrical metal piece that fit on top of the drill (with bit still in place). The only thing on the web that I could find that sounds similar is this description on a patent website:

"An adapter to place over a drill bit and the chuck of an electric hand drill to convert it to a power screwdriver, which includes a hollow body with tapering shoulders and an elongated tubular nose having a forward socket for a screwdriver bit, and three spring biased detents to pivot into key holes in the chuck to cause the adapter to rotate with the chuck, the body being of a size to receive said chuck and drill bit completely inside the body.

So basically you can switch back and forth without having to remove any bits at all.

Check this thread, you may find what you're looking for.

http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=2250

Smile Re: Looking for a converter that Tommy used on a recent show.

Looks like other people are looking for that gadget too. I think I found it, it is called the 'Twist-Lock':

http://www.lyropatool.com/

Thanks for the help!

Hey, that's cool!

My PBS is about a gazillion years behind on shows so I should see the episode featuring this in about 9008.

The Twist-Lok is definately the one.
    It uses round shank bits which is a totally new concept.
    The key seems to be the special chuck that can hold anything then the Driver locks on top.
    COOOOOL!