+ Reply to Thread

Default Basement insulation

I am going to finish a 100 year old cellar that has a stone foundation and walls. The basement is dry and we just poured a new cement floor with Radiant heating in it.

What is the best way to insulate the stud walls? The stone walls are too uneven so I'm going frame the new wall a few inches in all the wall around. Even though the basement is dry, I want to use an insulation that will hold up well if any moisture should get behind the wall. I'm thinking a rigid foam insulation board in between the new studs would be a better option that fiberglass insulation. I'm worried that fiber glass insulation might act as a spung....

H.

Default Re: Basement insulation

I've been looking into this a lot lately. The best solution I've found is to have some one come in and blow foam instalation in then cover it with a house wrap like that tyvek stuff. You are correct with the fiberglass it will act like a sponge but the firm board leaves a lot of gaps and really doesn't insulate that well. With the blown in foam it will be able to form to all the different angles that is your stone wall and provide a higher R value then the other options. The house wrap will allow moister to come out of the walls so they stay dry but also stop any heat loss durring winter. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by smoke-n-squeal View Post
    I've been looking into this a lot lately. The best solution I've found is to have some one come in and blow foam instalation in then cover it with a house wrap like that tyvek stuff. You are correct with the fiberglass it will act like a sponge but the firm board leaves a lot of gaps and really doesn't insulate that well. With the blown in foam it will be able to form to all the different angles that is your stone wall and provide a higher R value then the other options. The house wrap will allow moister to come out of the walls so they stay dry but also stop any heat loss durring winter. Hope this helps.
    Personally I don't see the advantage of the house wrap over the foam ... especially on the inside. It really won't prevent heat loss since it's porous for breath ability.

If the spray foam is a closed cell this will prevent any moisture migration through the insulation from the wall.

If there is an issue of moisture penetrating the foundation that is a separate issue that should be addressed from the outside.

Harold,

I am building a wine cellar with self supporting walls.
    I used 1" ridgid foil faced insulation board outside the studs sealing nails and seams with metal tape. I nailed the foam to the bottom plate 1/2" above the floor and also sealed that with metal tape just in case of any future water problem. I also have a 1 1/2' x 2" trench around the perimeter of the wine cellar outside of the studded wall, again, just in case. I used fiberglass batts between the studs

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Personally I don't see the advantage of the house wrap over the foam ... especially on the inside. It really won't prevent heat loss since it's porous for breath ability.

If the spray foam is a closed cell this will prevent any moisture migration through the insulation from the wall.

If there is an issue of moisture penetrating the foundation that is a separate issue that should be addressed from the outside.
    The advantage of the house wrap is the same as it's used for your house. It's not to prevent heat loss. It will allow moisture to move away from the wall but not to them in the event they ever get wet.

Additional note. I've gotten a few more feed back from some local installation companies and there is now a product that is made specificly for basements. I'm not sure if you can find it at you local home depo but they are pre cut sheet 8 or 9 foot that come with a special backing so that the house wrap isn't needed. Agian the purpose is to allow moisture to come out of the walls in the event they get wet but prevent moisture to move to the cooler walls. I didn't catch the name of the product but I'm going to have someone come out and qoute me for my project and at that time I'll get the exact name and I'll post it.

Quote Originally Posted by smoke-n-squeal View Post
    The advantage of the house wrap is the same as it's used for your house. It's not to prevent heat loss. It will allow moisture to move away from the wall but not to them in the event they ever get wet.

Additional note. I've gotten a few more feed back from some local installation companies and there is now a product that is made specificly for basements. I'm not sure if you can find it at you local home depo but they are pre cut sheet 8 or 9 foot that come with a special backing so that the house wrap isn't needed. Agian the purpose is to allow moisture to come out of the walls in the event they get wet but prevent moisture to move to the cooler walls. I didn't catch the name of the product but I'm going to have someone come out and qoute me for my project and at that time I'll get the exact name and I'll post it.
    Perhaps it's me ... but .... I'm not quite following you.

If you're also trying to describe a method of isolating potential moisture in a foundation to the interior ..... there is this product that works perfect : http://www.systemplaton.com/moisture_control.html