+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bathtub removal

Default bathtub removal

anybody out there have experience in removing old ceramic tub from the 50's? would rather replace than resurface, or put an insert in. the plumbing is accesable

thanks

bje

Default Re: bathtub removal

Just curious why you'd rather replace than resurface? If you've got a cast iron tub, it will be more durable than anything on the market now-a-days, and will hold a resurfacing better too.

Cast tubs are extremely heavy, so unless you're trying to get salvage value for an intact tub, it will be faster and easier to have at it with a sledgehammer than trying to remove it in one piece. That being said, you'll have to remove the wall surface above the lip of the tub and disconnect the plumbing before it can be manhandled out of there. Another argument for destruction of the tub is the door size leading into the bathroom. It was common practice to install larger tubs before the door was framed or installed, getting it out intact will be impossible if this is your case.

thanks for the response, and yes i agree with you but my mother is hell bent on a new tub, her tub is from the 50's does that make it cast iron? the surface looks ceramic or is it a combination?

thanks
    bje

That would be cast iron with a porclein coating, Very sharp if smashed out with a sledgehammer although very effective.
    If it was me & I have done this many times, I would use the sledge, makes it fast & much easier to handle the tub.
    You can remove the door jamb & casing but you still have finish walls & floors to content with beyound the bathroom & at least one more door to get a whole tub to get out of the house.
    Go for the resurfacing.