+ Reply to Thread

Question Astro turf porch

I bought a home that has an astroturf front porch. I'd like to install a slate porch and walkway. The base is concrete. But, there is glue adhering the turf to the porch. I can't remove all of the glue. What should I use to make sure the thin set sticks to the concrete, through the glue?

san jose ca

Default Re: Astro turf porch

Call different tool rental stores and find a heavy duty floor sander. Ask for a floor sc****r attachment, it looks like a orbital sander attachment with metal blades on it. Should remove most of the adhesive. Use a putty knife around the edges if necessary. If residue remains find a chemical means of removing whats left. If those methods dont work or you dont want to take the time try 1/4 concrete board. Screws or nails with tie wire to fasten done.

Default Re: Astro turf porch

UGH! I had the same astroturf crap on my front steps - worn across the edges, torn, rotten - yuk! I ripped it off (didn't take much), used a putty knife to take the glue off, and spent about 2 hours with some painter's tape. A little 'oops' paint, and look at the difference!
    The exterior paint I used has held up through the summer, fall, and now the winter. I may have to touch up a couple of spots next spring, but it seems to gripping nicely. Of course ANYTHING is better than astroturf!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stepsbefore.jpg 
Views:	677 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stepsafter.jpg 
Views:	690 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	592