Closed Thread

Default Health Considerations - Exposed Insulation

My husband just finished insulating the ceiling in the basement. He left all of (fiberglass) insulation exposed. I have a home gym in the basement. Should I be concerned about any health hazards posed by the exposed insulation above me when I work out?

Thanks.

Default Re: Health Considerations - Exposed Insulation

Fiberglass can be an irritant to eyes, skin and lungs. Any building inspector would require exposed insulation to be covered. The easiest way to do this is with plastic -- simply staple clear plastic to the ceiling to seal the insulation.

I would be. I would cover it with gyp board or a lay-in ceiling of some type. Their are a few companies that make a direct mount to the joist ceiling system that would maximize your headroom if that's a concern.

Nice to be visiting your post again, it has been months for me. Well this article that I've been waited for so long. I need this article to complete my assignment in the college, and it has same topic with your article. Thanks, great share.

Howdy, insulation raining down on you while exercising is not healthy. with a stapler you could install exterior house wrap to the ceiling joists- typar, typek, owins pink wrap.... these wraps are much better than stapling plastic to the joists because it does not let the stud bay breath.. The house wraps allows moisture to be able to escape from the stud bays an keep the insulation out of the air. Or installing 1/2 drwall ceiling be sure not to hide any electrical junction boxes.

Tim the original post was from 07 it was only brought up by a spammer.

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    Tim the original post was from 07 it was only brought up by a spammer.
    DOH!!!!!!!!!

Don't ya hate it when that happens?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Many might not be aware but insulation causes a lot of issues nowadays. Are there any new tips today to prevent this?

Quote Originally Posted by macky910 View Post
    Many might not be aware but insulation causes a lot of issues nowadays. Are there any new tips today to prevent this?
    Don't use it loose fill or fiberglass insulation. I'm a fan of spray foam myself along with foam board in certain applications... especially exterior.

Actually insulation caused plenty of issues years ago too when it was used. Asbestos and similar materials were the material of choice.

Now, the biggest concern for me is not managing air movement or insulating incorrectly and creating moisture problems. Old homes were built to breath and humidifiers weren't used in homes nd you opened a window when you took a shower, or took care of business no need for a bath exhaust fan.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical