+ Reply to Thread

Default replacing bathtub

has anyone got info on removing old ceramic tub? the discussion of an insert or resurfacing isnt what my mother wants to do.

she wants a new tub, can it be removed without smashing with a sledge hammer?

plumbing can be reached from basement.

need to know whether this is totally impossible for an average skilled person

thanks

bje

Default Re: replacing bathtub

I wanted to have some professional guidance on a nearly identical situation. I want to remove a tub and convert the same space into a shower, but the narrow bathroom is the same width as the tub, and with mudset tile wainscott, I can't think of any way to remove that tub without busting it apart with a sledgehammer ( recomended by a plumber ). the two end walls are an exterior brick wall, and the other has the diverter and leads into a closet. the wall behind is another tub/hall bath. Is it ok to bash it with asledge hammer, and might it help to take a grinder and sort of saw a line thru the porcelain hoping it'll braek there? what do the pros do?
    Mike

I remove tubs all the time. If it's cast iron you will need to use the sledge. If it's a steel tub you can cut it in in half and remove it that way. To convert to a shower you will need to change the drain pipe diameter to a 2" pipe. You might have to move it some too. To put in a new tub will require removing parts of the end walls to allow access to install the new tub and fasten it to the studs. I would really recomend a tub liner. It will be cheaper and faster than having it done the conventional way. Take a look at: http://www.bathfitter.com
    Before you make a decision. They have some really nice products.

I would like to do the same as mlwhitten - remove tub & replace with shower. How do I know if I have a steel or a cast-iron tub? (Forgive my ignorance.)
    Thanks,
    SSP

Quote Originally Posted by parkers View Post
    I would like to do the same as mlwhitten - remove tub & replace with shower. How do I know if I have a steel or a cast-iron tub? (Forgive my ignorance.)
    Thanks,
    SSP
    Knock on it as if you were knocking on someone's front door. A steel tub will have a hollow sort of ring to it, where a cast tub will have a solid thud. You'll also notice a difference in how it feels when you knock, the steel almost feel soft while the cast will feel like a rock.

If you have to break up the old bathtub to get it out, how will you get the new one in? If you currently have a cast iron tub, are you going to replace it with another cast iron tub? A steel or plastic tub won't measure up once you have gotten used to cast iron.

Removing a plastic or steel tub to upgrade to cast iron would make since, but you need to be able to get it into place, they are very heavy. If you have a plastic or steel tub, I can agree with your mother, but if its cast iron and getting a new one in place will be very difficult, resurfacing would be a viable option. Also if the current one is steel or plastic and you can't get a 500 pound cast iron tub into place, consider an Americast tub. They feel almost as good, in the store anyway.

I guess I have a similar situation. How do I remove a large bathtub without destroying it? The tub is a couple of years old and probably in excellent condition. I think it is made of steel.

To give a little further background, a recent energy audit revealed that the contractor we hired to put on an addition may have failed to insulate the along the exterior walls adjacent to the tub. I am thinking that if there is an easy way to get the tub out temporarily, it should be easy to install some rigid insulation.

I guess my secondary question is: What is the proper technique to insulate an area like this?