+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Question Sanding Sponges?

    I'm very inexperienced at painting and want to do it right, so I've been reading up on the subject. I've seen 'sanding sponges' mentioned. I have something that I think is a sanding sponge - a sponge wrapped in sand paper? One article I read in this month's issue of TOH says to wet the sponge. Do I really soak it, squeeze it, then sand w/a very damp sand papered sponge? Just seems weird to sand w/wet or damp sand paper. Why is it wet? Does it work better than dry? Thanks for any advice.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: Sanding Sponges?

    I think you're mixing tools and their intended purpose. Sanding sponges are pliable sanding media designed to conform around irregular shaped items. Wet sanding is a term used to describe a damp sponge (no sanding media ) to smooth rough drywall during the taping process.

    There is a wet sanding process that applies to some painting techniques, but generally this is something relegated to automotive type finishes, not the painting of walls.

    What is it that you're trying to accomplish so that we may better advise on products and technique.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts