+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Issue painting rooms with round corners

I purchased my first house this year and need to repaint the interior. My issue is that it has rounded corners and I cannot come up with any good plan to paint different parts of the house different colors because there is no hardline, well, anywhere. How do people get around this issue? I want it to look good of course, and would like a splash of color, but might just end up painting it white again.. Could use some ideas/help.

Dan

Thumbs up Re: Issue painting rooms with round corners

Are the round corners at the ceiling or are they the walls from room to room. I have curved ceilings and picked a point that made sence as to where the wall ended and the ceiling started.
    If it is the walls and you want to use color I would either choose two colors that go together and split it down the middle or I would make the lighter of the colors come into the darker area making a straight line at the end of the curve.
    Just my thoughts for the walls. As long as you like it I think it would work.

Default Re: Issue painting rooms with round corners

Opps, forgot to mention, but yes, the walls have the rounded corners. I guess mainly I am curious what everyone else is doing. I had thought of splitting the corner right down the middle though.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_slater View Post
    Opps, forgot to mention, but yes, the walls have the rounded corners. I guess mainly I am curious what everyone else is doing. I had thought of splitting the corner right down the middle though.
    This will probably look the best. The easiest way to split the corner will be to paint the lighter color first - not worrying about the transition point. Allow to cure, then place blue painters tape down the centerline of the corner. When painting the second color, start on the tape with a fairly dry brush, meaning not soaking and gobbed with paint, and draw the brush off the tape onto the wall. Do not draw from the wall to tape because the edge of the tape will sc**** the paint off the brush and cause "bleeding" back under the edge of the tape, resulting in a squiggly irregular line.

Exactly what Spruce said.

Thanks for the help! I'm off to look at paint!

If you don't mind a little more work, a very cool way to handle rounded corners is to 'fade' the wall color into the ceiling. Start with your walls, from the bottom up letting the roller go a little dry as you near your ceiling. Then work on the ceiling from the center out doing the same dry roller as you get to the wall. Let it all dry, then, using a paint additive that slows the drying time, load up a rag with each color, and working in a few feet of corner at a time, pat the paints on, overlapping by a couple of feet into each color, blending the colors. You will have to change rags when they begin to look like the same color. Don't overwork it. You can always go back over it again when it's dry, maybe adding a bit of glaze to thin the colors until you like the way it looks. This is a really neat way to add drama without going overboard, and most people will never notice the color fade - it looks like a lighting change. And you don't have to worry about painting a straight line!

I painted the lighter color first, with a roller about half way into the corner all the way up the wall. Let this set for a good 10 minutes. Then I came down the other side of the corner with the darker color. Let this set for about 10 minutes. Then I took a dry/clean roller and rolled up and down the entire corner a few times to blend the colors into one another. This worked really well and created a seamless look.

Quote Originally Posted by bsbs View Post
    I painted the lighter color first, with a roller about half way into the corner all the way up the wall. Let this set for a good 10 minutes. Then I came down the other side of the corner with the darker color. Let this set for about 10 minutes. Then I took a dry/clean roller and rolled up and down the entire corner a few times to blend the colors into one another. This worked really well and created a seamless look.
    Excellent suggestion. I'd love to see that.

I bought a tool that created this blended effect for me. It was the only way to get my two colors to look good where they met on that corner. It was very easy to use. I have not seen them in any stores yet, but you can buy it ******. I got mine here at http://www.blendmate.com