+ Reply to Thread

Default Refinishing lacquered cabinets

I think my kitchen cabinets are finished with lacquer. The finish is very hard and smooth and in the areas where it dripped, it has a yellow tint. My problem is how to refinish this. I want to change the stain color. I would have done a tinted varnish but I'm not sure it that would work. Am I better off just refacing? The cabinets have crown moulding so that would have to be done, too. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Default Re: Refinishing lacquered cabinets

Approximately how old are the kitchen cabinets?

They're about 4 years old.

At that age, they are probably finished in a polyurethane finish, not a lacquer - so unless you know for sure, your best bet may be to test color changes on the INSIDE of a cupboard door. (Also the yellowing you describe sounds like polyurethane - )

In our area there are a couple of paint & finish specialty stores. Unlike the large chains, they sometimes sell a small quantity (in a little jar) of paint or finish, for a dollar or two - specifically for the kind of testing you need to do. If you have a place like this nearby, they will also be a good source for advice as you go along.

If you use a tinted polyurethane over the existing color, you will need to adjust for it when you choose the color of the new finish. I would recommend that you bring a drawer or door to the paint shop for simplified comparison with color charts.

Also check the finish, especially on the doors near hardware or areas that may have worn more than others. These areas could "grab" more color than areas where the old finish is still intact. If there is significant wear, I would wipe on a thin coat (wipe, not brush) of clear finish before proceeding.

Good luck! Enjoy your "new" kitchen!

Thanks for the tips. I'll check with the local S-W and see if they can help.