+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pot fillers

Default Pot fillers

Maybe someone can explain pot fillers to me.

What I always hear is "you don't have to carry a big pot of water across the kitchen". Which I suppose is true, until you have to empty it. And then it's likely hot or boiling water (I'm thinking draining pasta) and that's even more dangerous.

Also, it seems risky to have a potentially leaky faucet right over your cooktop or range, which I intend to be the most valuable appliance when I renovate my kitchen.

So, those of you that have pot fillers, do you feel they're really worth it?

Default Re: Pot fillers

Gee. I've been around a long time and never heard of "pot fillers". My wife is just a tad under 5 feet tall. When she needs to cook something in a large pot full of water she uses a quart pitcher and carries the water in it. That might qualify as a pot filler. Or, when I carry the full pot for her I then become a pot filler.
    No disrespect intended but it sounds like some kind of plumbing device you may be better off without.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    Gee. I've been around a long time and never heard of "pot fillers". My wife is just a tad under 5 feet tall. When she needs to cook something in a large pot full of water she uses a quart pitcher and carries the water in it. That might qualify as a pot filler. Or, when I carry the full pot for her I then become a pot filler.
    No disrespect intended but it sounds like some kind of plumbing device you may be better off without.
    No disrespect taken. I first thought it would be cool then I realized it doesn't prevent you from dumping hot water in the sink.

We are doing the same but love the idea, especially my wife who is a great cook (I'm the sous chef with little say) but I believe it is more for serious cooks or people aspiring to be, at the very least for easier kitch manuevering & maintenance. We are adding the pot filler on a swing arm to move it over "swing it" to the side when not in use so not over a burner. The previous post gave me a great idea though if feasible which is putting prep sink next to stove (not on island or on the island and just a drain sink next to the stove) to drain it as well else the pot filler only satisfies 1 of 2 needs - filling but not draining. Great idea, also used for adding small amounts to water to recipes on the quick or in case the sous chef screws up! Best of luck.
    Last edited by MN Realty Pro; 08-04-2007 at 02:26 PM.

I had to laugh when I read your post! You are absolutely right. Pot fillers are one of those things which have not translated well from the commercial kitchen (where they are filling REALLY big pots) to the home. Unless your kitchen is HUGE - with a sink a long ways away from the cooktop - and you make lots and lots and lots of soups, for example, AND don't have time to waste filling the pot in the sink, I think they are just a status symbol. I am a kitchen designer and I have only spec'd one, and that was at the homeowner's insistence. Remember, too, that not only is the faucet itself an added expense, but so, too, is the plumbing.
    Kathy

I am inclined to agree with Kathy on this one, that it's more a status symbol than a truly useful item. Before going to the time and expense of installing one, think about how often you'd really be using it. How many times in a year do you use more than a gallon or two at a time on the stove? Considering that water weighs roughly 8 pounds per gallon, 16 pounds (2 gallons @ 8 pounds = 16) isn't all that heavy or hard to maneuver. How many folks have pots that can hold more than that and use them to capacity with regularity?

I'd recommend putting the expense of a pot filler towards good appliances, exhaust hood, or other devices that will ease one's time in the kitchen.

In Sprucy's case it's a wort filler........... LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    In Sprucy's case it's a wort filler........... LOL!
    You know, that's not a half bad idea. Just think, fill the pot AND cool it down without ever having to move it. Contents gets siphoned to another container. Hmm, may have to rethink my original answer ...

Default Re: Pot fillers -- Some examples!

I have to say that this discussion got me wondering since I've got a kitchen with a layout that is too big. (ie: Heavy pots of water have been known to spill on my way to the stove!)

I'd never really seen any potfillers before, but I found some on this website. They really do look gorgeous on top of being functional. Maybe not so bad for an amateur cook after all?