+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Power->Light->Switch->Switch->Light

Okay, we just might need a bookie.

Anybody willing to place bets yet?

Well, BigHeadT, you've gone and done it now. You have the whole lot of us confused and bamboozled. Not that it was all that difficult.

I always take the "over" on my bets.

...sleepless in MD 'til its figured out...

It's possible that both are the end of circuit but one may be wired as in the middle of circuit.

It doesn't matter if I'M right or not ... just going to sip on Spruce's Pumpkin Ale and Spruce's Pumpkin Lite Ale.... soon to be available on shelves near you.

BHT ain't returned yet.

Anybody wanna bet he's been electrocuted?

11-1 odds straight up.........but only 4-1 if he was sippin' on Sprucey's Festive Pumpkin Ale prior to the most recent go-round with the wires.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 11-11-2007 at 09:55 PM.

GH....shouldn't those odds be 120-1?

Ooooops. You're right. Odds he got back to the job after sippin' some brew is .......well.......next to nill.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 11-11-2007 at 11:41 PM.

You are all lucky I've been nipping at the pumpkin ale tonight, or I may have to take offense to all this ribbing! You're all just jealous that I've got me some fine ale and all you've got is, well this electrical question to ponder - all dry and parched like. <slurp! > My this is some tasty brew!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled electrical question ...

I am a newbie here and this post is very confusing. I have a simalar problem though so I was hoping to get some advice.

Ok I have a 1930 house with old rubber & cloth wires as well as some newer wire (during past remodel). My current set up is as follows:

(A) single box 3-way switch(#1)(new wire(black, red, white and ground) at end of kitchen opposite door.

(B) then to light/power (single box- old wire Hot (black & white)) + new wire(#1)(black, red, white and ground) + old wire(#2)(black & white(currently capped off) + old wire (#3) (white & black)+ light fixure (Black & white)

(C) Double box single pole switch for outside light (old wire (#2)(black & White) not working + old wire (#3) Hot(black & white) + old wire #4 to outside light (white & black)located inside of back door.

What I would like to do is replace old wires #2 & #3 (see * below) with 14-3 (#5) up to light and add a 3-way to this box.

(New B) then to light/power (single box- old wire Hot (black & white)) + new wire(#1)(black, red, white and ground) + new wire (#5)(black, red, gound & White)+ light fixure (Black & white)

(New C) Double box 3-way & single pole switch (new wire (#5)(black, red, gound & White) + old wire (#4) to outside light (white & black)

My question:

Is this set up possible? if so how does one wire #5 to #4? or do I need to run a seperate feed wire 14-2?

* this project started with a replacement of switches but I found that #2 & #3 must be crossed somewhere in the wall as both white & blacks on both are hot when only 1 black is connected to the hot. Major concern and in need of replacment. So I figured if I was running a new wire I would install a 3-way for convience and use of the kitchen light.
    Last edited by Joyze; 11-12-2007 at 01:30 PM. Reason: repeat words

Joyze,
    I believe this is what you want to do

If so you would only have to replace wire #2 with #5 By the way the heavy plack is the line power path. If you want to replace #3 you can , it would only need to be with a 14-2.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 11-13-2007 at 10:45 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb