+ Reply to Thread

Default soapstone countertops

I am considering soapstone countertops for all or some of the surfaces in my future kitchen. I want low maintenance, yet attractive surfaces. Is there a low-luster granite or some other material in this price range that might provide me with the rustic look I'm interested in?

Default Re: soapstone countertops

Soapstone is a great choice. Go into almost any high school or college chemistry lab and you will find soapstone used for the counters and sinks.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Hey JLMCDANIEL
    I'm a teacher and soapstone is in elementary schools, too. Problem is the soapstone countertop/sink in my school looks awful!

Yes, but how long has it been there and how has it been cared for?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Is soapstone food grade material? I always thought it was more pours than others and therefore, bad to use in a kitchen.

soapstone is fine for counter tops, actually can be rather dense. Please when investigating natural stone, forget the propaganda that is put out by competitors to these natural products.
    for more information on soap stone here is a good link.

http://www.soapstones.com/index.html

It’s quarried just like marble or granite. It’s a metamorphic rock that contains a relatively high amount of talc, which is why it’s called soapstone. If you’ve ever had a chunk of talc in your handy, your first impression is that it feels soapy. Surely you’ve had talcum powder on you and know that feeling. As you might expect, Mother Nature can produce the soapstone in various grades or levels of hardness. The least hard variety is highly prized by sculpting or carving. The harder soapstone can be used for all sorts of things around the home, businesses or even labs. Harder soapstone countertop has a higher amount of quartz in it.

The best advice I can give you before making a decision as large and final as this is to do a test. The test may cost you less than $100.00. Go to a soapstone fabricator and purchase a trivet. But get a big one, say 16-inches square. Place it in a high-use area of your existing countertop. Do things to it that you’ll be doing to your new countertops.
    Last edited by An72; 11-16-2010 at 12:21 PM.

Great question about whether or not Soapstone is a good material for working with food! A few benefits of using Soapstone for Kitchen Countertops are its anti-bacterial and heat/cold retention properties... Soapstone is extremely dense and non-porous, so it won't be stained by red wine or etched by vinegar. You don't have to seal it, so no need to worry about getting chemical sealant in contact with your food. Lastly (this is especially appealing to bakers), if you get the Soapstone Counters[/URL] very cold, they will stay cold for a long time. Great for any recipe requiring a dough to remain cold while you work with it. Find Teresina Soapstone in California on the internet for more information.

Soapstone is a very nice counter top material but does require oiling. I have not seen a granite that has the same look as soap stone and that's basically because the way the 2 materials are created is very different.

I think if you go with soap stone you will need to love it when its oiled and when it is not and be more than happy when its time to oil it down.
    Granite Countertops Experts | Kitchen designer | ICE Instant Countertop Estimator | Granite Website Design System : Hidden Content