+ Reply to Thread

Thread: unofficial poll

Default unofficial poll

I'm about to do a job that requires installing some mosaics for a kitchen backsplash and it got me thinking about how I always over do everything

I automatically use thinset and CBU's for all my tile applications but I started thinking that thats such a waste of time and effort.
    Why don't I use mastic in in non wet areas like I used to when I first started out 30+ years ago?

My question to you people is:
    How often do you go over board like this?
    Do any of you use thinset rather than mastic in areas like this and why?
    Do any of you use CBU's rather than M.R rock in non wet areas?
    Thanks
    andy
    Last edited by andybuildz; 11-10-2007 at 10:55 AM.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Default Re: unofficial poll

Quote Originally Posted by YukYuk View Post
    Translucent, non-opaque tiles like glass mossaic must use thinset. Dry area splash not much reason not to. Cook top areas, above dishwashers, behind sinks you have steam issues, stick with thinset. By the time you've done those areas you might as well use thinset for the whole thing. Countertop microwaves fan exaust steam out the back, other countertop appliances producing steam like rice cooker/slow cookers, espresso machines, coffee makers; bathroom hair driers, irons, steam sanitizer machines for fake teeth, Might as well use thinset and not have a call back for cracked tiles.

I always used cb on outside and cold walls when up north then stick with same backer for whole job temperature shocks and movement not worth using gyp.

Just playing devils advocate here. Do you really think steam that comes out of the front of a dishwasher would have ANY effect on a mastic applied backsplash? Or even the kitchen sink?
    Would take a serious amt of steam to make a dent in my opinion.

Glass tiles are a whole other story because you HAVE TO use thinset and not only use thinset but use the smooth end of the trowel but thats not what I'm discussing here. I'm discussing areas that are questionable.

And like I said, I almost always have used CBU'S and thinset, but I'm starting to question that in this day and age of competitive pricing.
    If in doubt of course I go CBU/thinset but areas like I mentioned...akitchen backsplash? I just figured that was a very good example but I'm not really buying your answer about that 100%. Cooktop area with tile I would use CBU/thinset...I agree.
    Last edited by andybuildz; 11-10-2007 at 05:25 PM.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Default Re: unofficial poll

Andy,

I've encountered alot of kitchen backsplash tiles set on drywall with mastic. Same for bathroom wall tiles, above/around vanities, etc. Much of that 20+ years old. Once in a while a tile may come loose on the HO and fall off. Not often, but once in a while.....and probably only after 10+ years. Easy fix.....if it gets replaced and the grout repaired in short order.

That being said, I think the longevity of such an installation depends alot upon the habits of the HO or user of that kitchen. Some folks are careful about splashing too much water about when doing the dishes,etc......and others aren't. Some folks treat the area as if it was the shower-room down at the Y or the deck of a battleship. Water, water everywhere.....and no one notices or thinks twice about it. (Have seen college kids home for the summer actually use the faucet sprayer to clean the backsplash. Squirt, scrub, squirt, scrub. This goes on for twenty minutes or more. Meanwhile water is running on the floor and they're walking it in. Doesn't even register with 'em.) Some folks are careful within reason and others are simply out-to-lunch.

Out-to lunch mentality: I know a guy (husband of my wife's college room-mate) who thought he'd help out one day, so he decided to mop the wood floor in their foyer whilst the wife was out shopping for the day. He commenced to pouring 10 gallons of soapy water on the floor and then shuffled off to watch the football game. When it was over, he decided it was time to mop up the water. Luckily, we live 2 1/2 hours from them so they had to hire someone else to rip out the old and install the new.

Bottom line....it's a judgement call, me thinks. Or......offer the client different prices for different options......but make sure to explain the difference in potential performance/longevity........and get their choice/committment in writing.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 11-10-2007 at 10:55 PM.