+ Reply to Thread

Default Sanding between coats of Polycrylic?

I am putting Polycrylic on a Faux finished table. My question is the instructions recommend sanding between coats to make the surface even. My question is the top is not smooth and sanding would not make the coat even because of the valleys. If I did not sand between coats what would be the end results.

Default Re: Sanding between coats of Polycrylic?

Raidenenc,

Polycrylic is not a polyurethane. Urethanes are often sanded because, once fully cured, they don't like to stick to themselves. A scuff sanding is done to assure adhesion. Such is not the case with acrylics. If in doubt, follow the directions on the can, but I don't think you will have problems not sanding between coats. I have used this product before with no such problems. If you sand at all, sand by hand without a sanding block to avoid sanding off high spots. Synthetic steel wool pads might also be helpful.

The instructions said specifically said"# Let dry at least 2 hours then sand with very fine sandpaper (220 grit) to ensure an even finish and proper adhesion of additional coats. Do not use steel wool. Remove all dust.
    # Apply second coat. For additional coats, repeat Step 6 before applying. Three coats are recommended. "

Even if I sanded it I could not get all of the finish. I just wanna make sure it adheres properly cause it is the top of a table.

Raidencmc,

As I said, I have never had a problem with this product as to adhesion. Avoid abrading with steel wool as any particles left on the surface of this water based product will rust and cause spots. The synthetic pads look like 3M kitchen scrubbers.

So far so good. I put on the second coat and it seems fine. It has been over 4 hours and it feels tacky, but not wet. Almost rubber coated. I actually have a test piece that I am 1 coat ahead of the table. So when I am brushing on my 3rd coat the piece is on the 4th and I can see what it will look like before hand. My plan was to put several coats on until it was very smooth. Sand it with a higher grit for a shiny finish. My concern is will the extra coats cause the color change. I noticed on my test piece it had a not and as the poly dried the color changed. Any thoughts. The other thing I was wondering about was I read somewhere that you can only use a certain type of sandpaper. The difference is one has something that prevents what you are sanding from collecting in the paper and that is the wrong one.